Alembic 'EVH'-?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Just saw this on Basscentral, couldn't find a pic. What is an Alembic EVH model?
  2. I don't know much about him but Edwin Van Huilk has an Alembic signature model for a long time. He sells bass gear too.

Look there, on his website he shows a few EVH sig models.

A search on Alembic forum might give lot of infos and pics.

3. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    EVH usually means Eddie Van Halen :) but in this case nanookanono must be right (though he misspelled the name: it's: Edwin van Huik).

Edwin must have been one of the first (if not THE first) bassists here in Holland to have ordered an Alembic, years ago. I know he had a lot of contact with the Wickershams, and had some ideas for his own model. IIRC the main thing was to have the neck PU moved away from the fretboard a bit in order to create more room for slapping - which he does really well.

Indeed he now runs Bass Connection - a bass store in Hilversum.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    TBer The Mule has a really really nice one that he's posted pics of here a number of times. If I recall correctly, he's got it up for sale. Here's a link to some of his pictures.....

The Mule's Alembic EVH

Here's a picture of one of the newer EVH designs...

5. Thanks James, unfortunately I saw this thread quite late. That @#$%! time difference! Mine is the first model, with the lower body shape following the underside of the famous bird tailpiece. The recent model has the shape as pictured in James' post. For the latest EVH you should definitely check this out. The electronics are in general 'Series I-ish' or 'Series II-ish', with (at least on the earlier models) humbucker pickups instead of the two singlecoils + dummy humcancelling pickup, no external power supply and usually some extra goodies. Mine for instance has a true bypass or on/off switch that makes sure the battery isn't drained when plugged in. It is for sale, but I'm having serious doubts... :(

Edwin van Huik is a great guy and a fabulous bass player, and everyone who wants to know more about him and his 'historical' connection to Alembic, should clickus linkus proximus (pardon my Latin ;)): link
    kesslari likes this.
  6. mdrdvp

Nov 8, 2004
    The Alembic EVH bass on the picture above was owned by me. This was the second design. It has signature electronics. Two volume and two tone controls with q-switch. The switch next to the output is a led on/off switch.
    If you look at Wilfred's, The Mule, EVH bass, which is for sale at the moment, you'll see that the lower half of the body is almost like a small body Alembic. The upper half has an extended horn to give it a better balance. That was the main reason for designing this model.

7. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada

For the longest time i thought that meant Eddie Van Halen too,but now i know!

Beauty basses :)
  8. zomnius

May 28, 2007
    That beauty is mine now. Love it. It has a bit that that series 1 feel/sound when playing without an amp.
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Which one is yours? The one that used to belong to The Mule or the one I posted the photo of that used to belong to mdrdvp. And speaking of photos, you know the rule....
    Clark Dark likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bet it sounds great.
  11. zomnius

May 28, 2007

I ment the picture of the newer EVH, that is my bass :). You can see it here on my table besides my Europa 6.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  12. zomnius

May 28, 2007
    A couple o years ago I had a white one (older version). Regretsz I sold it... A french guy stripped the polar white lacquer. (grr)

You can see it hanging besides a white Wal (not mine).

13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Very nice. I see it has the 5-pin connector. Does it have outboard power or is that prep for eventually adding Series electronics? Alembic has done a few basses where they pre-prepped the bass to accept Series electronics.
  14. zomnius

May 28, 2007
    I did'nt check yet. But I have a ds5 waiting :) you need series pickups, but I have these as well. We'll see It sounds incredible as is. I Play a lot without amp, so a bass has to sound good - wood - only :) and this one certainly does. It is a lot like the series 1. But with a bit less cavity sounding. It has that holow deep sounding thing i like about Alembics. But maybe that is the wood pallet that does the trick.