Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ALESIS SR-16 FANS

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bizzaro, Aug 2, 2005.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I just picked up the Alesis SR-16 drum machine and although it is in new condition it was made in 1990. It doesn't seem to me to be that user friendly, especially compared to newer digital gear. Also the display needs to be in bright light to see it.

SO how much have they improved this model over the years. :confused:

If the improvments are worth it I may ditch this one and get a newer one.
    :bassist:

2. I have one thats around 1 year old. I can't comment on the user friendliness of it, seems ok but i don't know how much has changed since 1990. Although i love mine i will say that dark display hasn't changed. I still have to have mine under the lamp and be pretty much standing directly over it to see it, why they don't back lite that i'll never know...

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Glad to hear the view screen is normal, though it definatly could be improved.
    I am starting to understand it a little better now. Anything with more than three steps in it and I need the instructions right with me for the first 20 times or so. I bought the SR to fill in as a drummer. A band I am in is having a tough time finding and keeping reliable, talented drummers.

Got any suggestions for ways to play a drum roll with the pads? It seems almost impossible with one pad. I can't find anything in the instructions about that.

I am thinking for getting the SR to play our songs the easiest will be to play along with the CD of the song and play the drum parts on the SR. It seems like that will be quicker than trying to find presets and editing them.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have had mine since FOREVER and I finally just bought a Roland TD3SV electronic kit. I find myself getting more frustrated that I could play the parts in less than half the time it would to program the damn machine. It is a good machine but it has enough faults I finally had enough. GOOD LUCK.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I stopped trying to program my own drumbeats in. I found that that is much easier to do in Cakewalk.

The standard drumbeats are nice. I don't know why everybody is complaining about the display as I have had no problems with it.

I think it's unnecessarily difficult to program. Alesis needs to spend some time to make things more user friendly. It fulfills my needs though.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    the display is really hard to see unless it is well lit and you are right over it. Try looking at it from an angle, and in dim light.

I am hoping to use it for band practice,(no drummer) and maybe even a gig or two. Has anyone used it for a gig? Helpful Hints?? :hyper:

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I use to use it on solo gigs. It's cool for that once it's all programmed. I don't know about a band situation though.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    And it worked for solo gigs fine?? I don't see why it wouldnt work for a band. And no one can complain about the fills,time, etc cause it will be exactly the same. That goes for intro etc too. Just have to follow the set list and use a foot switch. Anyway thats what I am hoping.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess their are only four of us using the Alises SR-16. AMAZING