1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All in one Video/Audio Solution

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DublinerBass, Jan 5, 2017.

1. DublinerBass

DublinerBass

Aug 7, 2014
    Hey from Dublin!!!

Long story short, I want to

- do some home Bass video recordings for uploading on social media and

- record some good live footage from my Classic Rock band for subsequent sharing on social media.

I recently bought the new "Go Pro Hero 5" and while the visuals are good the audio is very poor

It's built-in Mics are just not designed for capturing the low end from my bass amp. I have bought a RODE Video Mic Pro (External Microphone) and that might help a bit and I plan to test that Tomorrow.

Everyone tells me to record the audio separately (on a tascam or similar), record the video on the Go Pro and then sync both in post production on a laptop afterwards. I DONT want to do that !!!!

I want a simple, practical "all in one" quality video / audio solution that gives me footage that I can quickly upload onto FB or Twitter

Any advice guys? I heard the Zoom Q8 or Zoom 4n might be a solution?

Cheers

Niall

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Zoom Q8 ... 'nuff said?

DublinerBass likes this.
  3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

There is no guaranteed all in one. Syncing the two separate pieces is not difficult.

the explode man and DublinerBass like this.
  4. I got the new zoom Q2N for exactly the same reasons as the OP. Don't expect amazing quality, but for the price and ease of use its pretty great.

DublinerBass likes this.
  5. Would recommend the Zoom cameras, too. Own a Q4 since about 18 month. Alternative: if you own an iPhone, get a decent mic like the Shure MV88.
    The Zooms have a very good audio quality for the price. The camera - at least in some of their products - isn't that good, but not bad. Make sure - if you can - that you have daylight or at least some spotlights and prevent backlight. It hates dark places and backlight. Ordinary concert spots work well if you choose the concert preset.

DublinerBass likes this.
  6. He wrote:
    I get your recommandations, Badwater, but I think they don't fit. I have a DSLR, good mics etc., but I mostly use the Zoom 'cause it is so easy to use. You write: "Almost all built in camera mics are poor quality".
    That is not true for the Zoom, esp. regarding the price. I have a 500,- Lewit USB mic and yes it is better, but not that much. As I've mentioned before: the camera leaves something to be desired. But if the light is o.k. or you have a stage with bright spots, it is good. If I record our gigs, I just have to find something magnetic anywhere or something I can clip the camera onto, control the perspective, set it to record and forget it. It runs for more than 3 hours with the batteries.
    Do this with a DSLR, not to mention the 30 minutes limit and the batteries that only run for about 30 minutes or so. I have a Canon EOS 750D.
    It beats all iPhones and Zooms in picture quality as to be expected: it is about 800,-.
    But for convenience: I take the Zoom anytime.

P.S. I don't know why I am passionate about this topic:)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    DublinerBass likes this.
  7. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Sub'd - not that I have the money to buy such a device, but I'm curious to see what people say.

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would get beyond the idea of a device being the answer. You are going to want a video editing program anyway in order to do basic cleanups and edits, and also to output video in different formats.

Something like Corel VideoStudio (Ultimate version less than $75) can automatically align multiple media files based on audio.

Even if it is just a simple home video, you can potentially use a green screen and then have a little fun using your imagination to come up with an interesting background instead of sitting in front of the same bookcase with the bowling trophies and comic books. It is super easy and actually makes shooting the video more fun because you don't have to search through the house finding that one spot with good lighting AND a decent background.

So by all means get a good device. But also get good (and simple) software to give you the ability to incorporate multiple media or add some simple edits when it makes sense to do so.

9. Thumbs up on Corel VideoStudio Ultimate, really great software, not a terribly steep learning curve, but really great results.

Regards,

10. Any software for a Mac that can automatically sync videos and audio. Logic can't (although it is very good if you want to change audio-tracks in videos etc.). Seems you really need the expensive Pro versions from Adobe or Final Cut Pro from Apple to do this.