1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All my basses in my album, tone differences ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Clemouze, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Salut all, I wanted to use almost all of my basses in my album Gazillian Project (just because I can). Everything was done by me on this album, 100% amateur homemade . Too bad I am not as good as I wanted with clean rythm bass playing, I will have to practice !

The bass is the main instrument driving the songs, but not as a lead one like in fusion or what.

Will you recognize the distinctive tone of them ?

00:00 The Cloud : NO BASS
    01:12 The Broken (I) : Flatwound Jazz bass (DI).
    04:30 The Smile (II) : Modulus Funk Unlimited (through my rig). + EMG P equiped Precision Bass (DI) + Squier Bass VI (DI) for the western vibe bridge
    08:54 The Sand (III) : EMG P equiped Precision Bass (DI)+ overdriven EMG P equiped Precision Bass (through my rig).
    19:00 The Need (IV) : Ernie Ball Stingray (through rig), with hard 2nd order filter on the DAW
    24:33 The Fact (V) : Rickenbacker 4003 (through rig with YYZ pedal)
    28:33 The Line (VI) : Flatwound Muted Precision (DI) + Modulus Funk Unlimited (through my rig) for slap
    32:14 The Eyes (VII) : Squier Bass VI (through guitar rig) + Rickenbacker 4003 (through rig with flanger)
    34:15 The Fall (VIII) : Flatwound Jazz bass (DI) + Flatwound Muted Precision (DI) for the grand final

Soundcloud Link (only the first song appears here on Talkbass ) :

Youtube Link :

The recording from my rig was done with LOTS of pedals, Gallien Krueger MB-500 head and MOOER RADAR CAB SIM, with my own IR ( Gallien Krueger NEO 410 with two SM-57 )

Lots of efforts into that album, particularly mixing ! But mixing is way easier when you are the only guy in the band, no more ego fight about which frequency bandwidth for what instrument !

Plus you fluent english speaking guys and girls can laugh about my accent, I give you that haha !

regards,
    Clement

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow! what an undertaking! :thumbsup: it's all good to my ears, although i immediately gravitate to a few of those --- e.g., i appreciate the little funky twist on the line (VI). and i don't hear anything but english in the singing...i doubt an accent would hurt the effort, anyway. pretty cool stuff, clement.

i commend you for your hard work, your great playing, and your talent/skills bringing it all together with your studio chops! nice job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks for sharing your music!

Clemouze likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

re: all your basses: i think that's a fun element to your project. i bought into all of it! nice job! :thumbsup:

Clemouze likes this.
  4. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Wow cool ! Thank you, I really appreciate !
    Yes I think I know what part you are refering to haha !

JRA likes this.
  5. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I really enjoyed this bass forward project. I say bass forward rather than bass centric.

It’s great to hear bass in the context of the songs.

Clemouze likes this.
  6. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Thanks , yes those words really translate the idea!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021