All my basses in my album, tone differences ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Clemouze, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Salut all, I wanted to use almost all of my basses in my album Gazillian Project (just because I can). Everything was done by me on this album, 100% amateur homemade . Too bad I am not as good as I wanted with clean rythm bass playing, I will have to practice !

The bass is the main instrument driving the songs, but not as a lead one like in fusion or what.

Will you recognize the distinctive tone of them ?

00:00 The Cloud : NO BASS
    01:12 The Broken (I) : Flatwound Jazz bass (DI).
    04:30 The Smile (II) : Modulus Funk Unlimited (through my rig). + EMG P equiped Precision Bass (DI) + Squier Bass VI (DI) for the western vibe bridge
    08:54 The Sand (III) : EMG P equiped Precision Bass (DI)+ overdriven EMG P equiped Precision Bass (through my rig).
    19:00 The Need (IV) : Ernie Ball Stingray (through rig), with hard 2nd order filter on the DAW
    24:33 The Fact (V) : Rickenbacker 4003 (through rig with YYZ pedal)
    28:33 The Line (VI) : Flatwound Muted Precision (DI) + Modulus Funk Unlimited (through my rig) for slap
    32:14 The Eyes (VII) : Squier Bass VI (through guitar rig) + Rickenbacker 4003 (through rig with flanger)
    34:15 The Fall (VIII) : Flatwound Jazz bass (DI) + Flatwound Muted Precision (DI) for the grand final

Soundcloud Link (only the first song appears here on Talkbass ) :

Youtube Link :

The recording from my rig was done with LOTS of pedals, Gallien Krueger MB-500 head and MOOER RADAR CAB SIM, with my own IR ( Gallien Krueger NEO 410 with two SM-57 )

Lots of efforts into that album, particularly mixing ! But mixing is way easier when you are the only guy in the band, no more ego fight about which frequency bandwidth for what instrument !

Plus you fluent english speaking guys and girls can laugh about my accent, I give you that haha !

regards,
    Clement

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow! what an undertaking! :thumbsup: it's all good to my ears, although i immediately gravitate to a few of those --- e.g., i appreciate the little funky twist on the line (VI). and i don't hear anything but english in the singing...i doubt an accent would hurt the effort, anyway. pretty cool stuff, clement.

i commend you for your hard work, your great playing, and your talent/skills bringing it all together with your studio chops! nice job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks for sharing your music!

Clemouze likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

re: all your basses: i think that's a fun element to your project. i bought into all of it! nice job! :thumbsup:

Clemouze likes this.
  4. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Wow cool ! Thank you, I really appreciate !
    Yes I think I know what part you are refering to haha !

JRA likes this.
  5. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I really enjoyed this bass forward project. I say bass forward rather than bass centric.

It’s great to hear bass in the context of the songs.

Clemouze likes this.
  6. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Thanks , yes those words really translate the idea!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022