1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All-New Ampeg SCR-DI!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CharlieC, Jan 8, 2015.

1. ddarrell2

ddarrell2

Nov 25, 2017
    What are everyone’s favorite settings? Being new to this instrument, I don’t know what to listen for yet. Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mine is bass and mids 2:00, treble 10:00, ultra switches off.

marko138 and macmanlou like this.
  3. I presently change my settings

Treble: about 10 o'clock
    Mid: kinda 1 o'clock
    Bass: boosted to whatever

4. HeathenHeart

HeathenHeart

Apr 29, 2014
    My experience with this pedal has been the exact opposite. I've found the tone annoyingly trebly when playing through the phones, to the point where I had to reduce the highs to the bare minimum so I could play.

I don't know if the pedal has any type of cabsim, but I really don't feel it when playing through phones or direct. It sounds fizzy. Through the 1/4'' it is a good tone, I'll give it that. The OD is good, but nothing special, and the distortion tone when you crank up the scrambler is IMO just bad. It works better with light drive.

Overall, I've used it for about 3 months total. Did its job, but it didn't amaze me. I've sold the pedal, saved another 200$ and bought a Darkglass. I really don't regret it.

5. To me their is an ampsim tone. I still have a problem with the scrdi's weight.

6. I keep ending up with all three eq knobs around 1 o’clock....

7. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    That's where I keep mine as well, and on my PF 500.

As for the scrambler I have been keeping the drive at max and using the blend knob to dial it in lately...usually somewhere near 9 or 10 o'clock.

Unemploid and JimmyM like this.
  8. Yeah I frequently do that of section.

9. So can it run a power amp?

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    What happened to the Duncan man?! I barely use any compression either(just enough to even out things and fatten), and I really miss it if I don't have the Studio Bass. The TC is cool though. Pretty versatile if you use toneprint.

svtb15 likes this.
  11. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    That was BEFORE the Duncan.... I didn't like the TC.. Others may differ but the TC is sort of a novelty.. It didn't do what i wanted it to doe.. If i wanted to change a setting i had to use a computer interface or the Iphone APP. But the iphone APP does not integrate with the computer to save settings.It was a PITA.
    I tried eth Seymour Duncan and fell in LOVE with it. What i like is that I can o Parallel Compression and blend Straight with compressed signal on the fly.
    The Duncan will not squish and HOLD if that is what onisoking for. Bu it des great general compression and I an blend my Unaffected sound. Great price too. The Duncan Studio Bass in my Always ON pedal.. I was using my HOfner on a gig the other day and the Duncan compressor roped in the weirdness that those basses can have.

I had the Keeley BASSIST too. That is also a GREAT Pedal.. It will SQUISH if you want or be very subtle. I only wish it had the BLEND knob like the Duncan already has.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  12. Ok - I’ve been trying to find a replacement for my SCR - for no other reason than I want a more compact preamp solution, and I don’t really need the DI, as I have one on my GK that does its job well. I can’t find anything to match the tone of the SCR. Is it a little ‘baked in’? Yeah, maybe a little. But, what a great baked in tone lol! So far, my SCR has bested the following pedals for me:

VT Bass DI ( I cannot get a good tone from this pedal - blew me away, this was supposed o be magic in a box)
    Dark glass VMT ( holy hype Batman)
    Fairfield Barbershop (seriously great pedal, not for the styles I’m currently playing)
    Ampeg Classic preamp pedal ( way noisier than the SCR)

I thought the Barbershop stacked with the SCR might be the be-all end-all, but then I put the Captain East toneprint on my TC Spectracomp. The spectra plus scr combo is a tone that sounds about 3x as much as it costs!!!!

My next thought is - has anyone re- housed the SCR, eliminating the Scrambler circuit and shrinking the footprint? That’s my next best guess as a way to shrink my stage footprint even more (I’m weird that way lol)...

13. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Ah ok! The Duncan is a compressor I could see really working with the SCR-DI. It’s just so natural sounding yet subtly warm. I freaking love it. It’s always on for my gigs as well. First pedal compressor I’ve owned that doesn’t “feel” like it’s on.

svtb15 and Zoobiedood like this.
  14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I agree. I have used or at least tried so many pedal compressors and I was really hoping that the TC could do it. It was a big letdown actually. And then I just came across the Seymour Duncan studio Bass and It’s all I have been using since. Every other compressor pedal I was second-guessing is this set right, is this set right, and twisting knobs for less depression and more compression then I would turn it off. But the thing that I love about the Dunkin like I said earlier it’s all I have been using since. Every other compressor pedal I was second-guessing is this set right, is this set right, and twisting knobs for less depression and more compression then I would turn it off. But the thing that I love about the Dunkin like I said earlier is that parallel compression. There was another brand that also has the blend knob That I’m sure can do the same thing. But I’m very happy with this and I don’t feel the need to keep looking and searching this is working for me as well as it is. Don’t mind any typos I’m using Siri to type this as I am driving

Zoobiedood likes this.
  15. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree. The parallel compression is what does it. Blending in the clean signal really makes it sound natural and organic. I have had the same experience using other compressor pedals.. the 2 Keeley comps(Bassist and Compressor Pro) I have owned and they are really great, but just fall slightly short of the natural feeling action of the Duncan. I don't even think about it(much less hear it) while I am playing and its become a quintessential part of my rig.

Sorry guys about the off topic... I am pretty sure I am going to be grabbing an SCR-DI this week though ;)

svtb15 likes this.
  16. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Anyone used the Ampeg Scrambler pedal (the "new" one) in front of the SCR DI?
    I would like to setup a little overdriven sound with builtin Scrambler and engage a second one when I want more.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have at home. It's fun. Stacking overdrives is cool.

18. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Fun and cool but is it usable? Is engaging the 2 Scrambler can just go a bit louder/meaner and not overboard?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well that all depends on how you set them. And some will find it usable, some won't. I stack OD's and heavier dirt pedals all the time.

20. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Thanks Jimmy

JimmyM likes this.