1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All purpose rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Oct 12, 2006.

1. harley_ou812

harley_ou812

Sep 30, 2001
    Lebanon, PA
    Hey guys,

I am looking to get a new rig now going. my first thing is i would like something fairly light wieght. I am a big dude so if it ends up being a little larger and heavier then what is ideal so be it. Now here is the kicker. I play bass thats my love. I am also playing some keys and want to pick up a good keyboard weather it be a triton or motif or whatever seems to suit my needs best a little down the road. ALSO I play some guitar. I have found myself in a situation where i could possibly be playing some of each in a band situation. Same band just different instruments at different times.

So I was hoping to come up itwith a rig that can work with guitar, Bass and Keyboard through the same amp setup with maybe different effects setup maybe even a different preamp in front. Just seeing what all my options are.

Thank you
    Jared

2. Man, I tried to get a rig like that going pretty recently. I just gave up on it. The main problem was live sound, wherein every time I'd grab another instrument, the sound guy would freak out (even though I had levels matched and such, as you can imagine, a bass sits differently in the spectrum than keys or mandolin, etc.). Now I just have a dedicated bass rig, run the keys direct into the PA, and use a little acoustic Ashdown combo for my other instruments.

That said, your best bets, as far as I can say are either (a) A keyboard amp. Most of those have multiple inputs already and essentially the same speakers as a full-range bass system. Or (b) just build yourself your own mini PA, running a bunch of preamps into a mixer, into a power amp, into some speakers (again, full-range).

As you're trying to put this together, know that I feel your pain.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I have to agree that a keyboard amp would be your best bet. It will sound good for keys, and if you put a modeler/preamp of some kind in front of it (like a Pod or BDDI) you can tweek things for a bass or guitar a little.

The live sound thing is the issue. Keys, bass and guitar really need to be eq'ed and mixed differently. If you aren't going through a PA, problem solved. If you are, 3 DI's will solve the problem and your amp is just a stage monitor for you anyway.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

plus, multiple channels with EQ would be nice. that way you could match everything up so switching instruments is seamless.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I play bass, guitar, and guitar synth w/ a sampler in one of my bands. I also like to use processed vocals sometimes, which I control with an expression pedal. I've used a Mackie 1202VLZ in the past to submix, and sent a stereo feed to the front of house. My current rig uses an EA CxL-112 and an AccuGroove Tri112L, both of which sound great for any of the above uses IMHO. My power amp of choice for the moment is the PLX 1804. I do use different preamps and EFX for guitar and bass, and I'm planning on using my Crest XR-20 instead of the little Mackie for more EFX mixing options when I can justify hauling all that stuff. I expect to add EUB and keys to the mess eventually too.:bassist:

I am lucky enough to have a few sound men who enjoy dealing with all this. But I've had my share of misadventures mixing multi-instrumentalist guys who don't have a handle on giving me a send that works for the various instruments.

6. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Peavey made a Tube Preamp a while back called the TB Raxx (and its Guitar Counterpart the TG Raxx)... however from what I understand they are both indentical in circuitry, and the only difference is the G or B on the front. I think something like that combined with a POD XT Live (for guitar effects and distortion... and for an extra $100 you can all all the bass models if you want) and a power amp would be a good start to a multipurpose rig.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you are looking for a bass/keyboard rig, I think EA would be the way to go. Perhaps an Iamp 800 with a pair of NL210, or an NL210 and a Cxl112.

Put a Radial bassbone in the front, and you can switch between instruments seemlessly.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    This, plus two to five pedals (or POD XT Live) for the quitar -- depending on the type of tone you're after for quitar.

9. harley_ou812

harley_ou812

Sep 30, 2001
    Lebanon, PA
    I have been looking around some EA seems like a good choice. I was just curious if there are any other opinions out there possibly something cheaper. I have looked at some keyboard amps but up till this point none of them seem very loud.

10. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    wouldn't a sansamp PSA 1.1, and a poweramp into a 4x10 or 4x12 bass cab fit the bill?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021