1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

all tube rig: diy way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leitmo, May 20, 2011.

1. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi!

well, not 100% diy, i have experience on building solid state and tube hi fi amps and preamps and i was considering going the diy-kit way to my first bass rig.

I will use it in my living room-bedroom so tons of power are not required, i prefer kits cause i'm not confident enough to build something from scratch as someone did cloning SVT's and Bassmans

Here are my options:

- preamp: i have not found many tube preamp kits, some mods and upgrades may be done

Das Musikding - Bausatz Madamp BP1Mk1 kitgBP1

- amp: two years ago build my hifi system: Hagtech tube phono preamp, Nelson Pass buffer preamp and dynakitparts ST-35 tube amp, i'm very happy with this so i'm considering getting a mono amp, here are my options:

DYNAKITPARTS.com
    DYNAKITPARTS.com
    TriodeElectronics Dynaco Mk3 Tube DIY Amp Kit

so...suggestions?

2. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Would you be interested in something like this, or do you want a more challenging build?

Weber Amplifier Kits

3. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    thanks for your reply Edword!

i only found basshead AB200 but it's out of stock and market is not plenty of bass products, especially tubes

i know Dynaco and Dynakit Mark III are Hi-Fi mono amps, i'm only concerned about input impedance (470k ohms)...

...i still don't know which cab to choose, maybe 2x12.....

waiting for your replies!

4. With the kits mentioned you maximum is going to be 60W. That's something I couldn't gig with in todays world. The Weber kit I know nothing much about apart from the general consensus that it uses cheap parts.

5. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    hi Bassman Paul, thanks for your reply,

as said above i want a low powered amp for practicing at home, i don't have a band, just learning play bass

i love diy world and, why not? have an all tube rig

6. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    self-bump!

no one?

Ampeg B-15 heritage series is only 60W and great basslines were recorded through it,

this is one of the pros of Dynaco Mark III, also early Sunn amps were Dynaco modded schems

7. i'd look at the weber kits alot of them are great for bass and guitar. check out the hiwatt and orange clones

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You're correct when you say that there aren't a lot of bass amp kits available. The Weber one is too powerful for your needs. The Dynaco is a good kit, especially with the power supply upgrade option. I use the MkIII cap boards.

You should consider buying an old used bass amp and rebuilding or restore it. Sometimes you can find some great deals on older used tube based Ampeg, Fender, Marshall, etc. amps. These are eyelet board based amps and relatively easy to work on. The nice thing about doing this is, is that you have a chassis, cabinet, and the original transformers.

Another option is to choose a model, find a schematic, and build the amp from scratch. If you search, there are many web sites with pictures and construction details. All the parts that you would need are available to build a vintage amp.

9. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    oh what a surprise!

i thought AB200 was the only bass product, but 200W it's totally out of my range :(

Beans-on-toast: Which Dynaco MkIII do you have? i'm interested is some users review

MAMMOTHvolume: i'll take a look at weber kits, which ones do you recommend me for bass?

10. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i think you are on a good track. your putting together your own handpicked boutique rig. at home i play through vintage 50's mcintosh and fisher hifi preamps, modern avalon sp737 preamp into 1960's mcintosh mc30 or 225 (with vintage metal based kt88)and a 1956 jbl hartsfield speaker. ( i might have a record for the most expensive home rig lol) i say go for it, this stuff lets you hear textures that just dont show on the normal store bought amps. if your just using it at home that wattage will be fine. johnny a. staind

11. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    thanks staindbass!!!!

you really encouraged me to go diy-kit way!

i don't need amp and cab now, i'll get tube preamp and plug it into my studio monitors. My current "rig" is: ric 4001 / cort a5 - bss DI box - Motu 828 - dynaudio bm5a and you're right...sounds great and totally different from bass combos and dedicated bass heads!

I'll take off bss DI box and put together tube preamp....

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The capacitor boards are an upgrade that allows you to boost the original capacitor values in the MkIII/Sunn amp. I've used them in various amps that I build, not with the Dynaco MkIII amp itself.

I can tell you that the boards are well constructed with plated through holes.

13. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    thanks for your reply beans-on-toast, sounds good!

are those capacitor boards avalaible as a kit? schem?

14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    They are available as a kit or as just the board from triode electronics (SDS Labs Mk3 Capacitor Board). This page also has a link for the instructions. It is designed to use snap-in type capacitors. I usually use Panasonic, high current capacity TS-ED and TS-EE series caps (Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor) with these boards.

The board was designed by SDS Labs (Dynaco MK-III Amplifier). There is a different manual for the cap board than what triode has here ( http://www.quadesl.com/pdf/mk3_capboard.pdf).

15. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    great links beans-on-toast!!!

do you use Dynaco MKIII as your practice amp?? gigs?? i'm interested if you can briefly review it

thanks again!!!!

16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I don't use a Dynaco MKIII amp so I can't offer a review. I simply use the MkIII capacitor boards in some of the amps that I'm working on. You might want to contact someone at Triode Electronics and explain that you want to use their Dynaco amp for bass. Maybe they can direct you to a web site or to someone that has done what you are considering. I've found them to be very helpful.

Check out Conrad Sundholm's web site (conradamps). Also there is an interesting Sunn site (Sunn Amps) that might have some Dynaco info.

17. Those are some neat-o DIY links.

I don't have much useful info Leitmo, --I'm just chiming in to support & encourage; I like your idea! Some interesting posts on here, from the hi-fi stereo thing guy to the refurb guy, all cool. I too would like a lower watt all-tube home amp, but even smaller. I've been thinking of keeping an eye out for a messed up 15w MusicMaster amp to mod a bit & make a head out of, and use it with a 1x12 cab or possibly a small 1x15. Maybe I could make a custom fliptop-"mini" out of it, who knows.

Long live power tubes :)

18. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Seriously, not to hijack the thread and all (which is an interesting read!), but Jimmy Riot, I like the way you think! I was at a jam today, and at the guitarists' request, I brought along my 12 watt Musicmaster bass amp (which is a killer guitar and harp amp exactly as it is!)... I've rigged it so that I can hook different 8 ohm cabs to it and was telling the guys about what a tone monster it is into my TL606 cab, which I just happened to have with me :D Toasty overdrive at a surprisingly loud volume! Turned a couple of rather jaded heads!

-robert

19. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm a believer in encouraging experimenters and those with heart to take on learning what it takes to construct a piece of gear.

Go man go.

Advice from me: Pick up a RCA tube manual. Start small. Get your head around the different eq circuits. It IS a long journey.

My favorite recording setup is a Fender Champ amplifier into a fEarful mic'd. I can get clean and fat or huge and furry with a 30 degree twist of one knob. Big fun!

If you are looking for a low Watt solution for home practice, consider the Epiphone Valve Junior. Lots of tubey fun for low dough.

20. leitmo

leitmo

Mar 30, 2011
    thanks all for your replies!

beans-on-toast: great links! i'll take a look at DIY-Sunn section

jimmy riot: great idea, are this 15W Musicmaster bass amp? sounds like guitar amp. Maybe 60W of Dynaco power are too much for practicing at home but never knows when i'll join a band and start gigs

rllefebv: sometimes 12W are loud enough to make someone dance :)

interceptor: i have RCA tube manual and i understand some concepts but, as you said, it's a long journey....Epiphone Valve Jr, guitar amp? bass amp?