Allan Woody Rumblekat hardware advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tvrtko, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I just obtained one of these and I am not happy with the bridge, tuners and strings.
    Problem with strings is easy and I already made my choice (GHS Pressurewounds)
    Tuners are generic and very soon will need to be replaced. Question: What brand to use as Y version? Thanks.
    But, my bigger dilemma is what to do with this ugly bridge?
    There are 2 options - Hipshot and Babicz.
    Babicz is almost 2 times more expensive. But, by looking on it seems to be much better option.
    I need honest advice from someone who has some knowledge about this issue with 3 point Gibson crap. Thanks.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The original tuners used by Gibson were Schaller M4 90 tuners, made for Gibson. The dust cap had either 'Gibson' written around the perimeter, or a 'G' on the dust cap. Replacements through Schaller will have either 'Schaller' written around the dust cap or the Schaller 'S'. Replacement tuners are available here.
    https://www.schaller-electronic.com...-Light.htm?ITServ=C7bff2991X15d29bd09d2XY796b

I have no knowledge or experience with the 3 point bridge.

3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Thank you.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I used Hipshot SuperTone bridge, Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB350 tuners on my Epiphone Jack Casady. Maybe they'd also work on the Rumblekat.

5. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Babicz. Nothing works better IMHE and if I ever get a long coveted SG bass it will have one on it FWIW.

NOTE: Just make sure it will fit correctly first as I believe the AW bass has an arched top, yes?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think the Allen Woody is flatter on top than the other Gibsons and Epiphones with the three point bridge. It's a great bass. All I think it really needs is a string change.

7. I replaced the three-point bridge on my old EB3 with the Hipshot Supertone and did not perceive a difference in tone or ease of adjustment; the 3-point bridge requires a little practice to adjust correctly and there are plenty of helpful comments here on TB to help.

96tbird and ShonenCello like this.
  8. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Thank you, all. Babicz is pretty expensive. But, to me looks much better than anything else. Hipshot looks little bit too low and I cannot find measurements for it to compare to the current 3 point thing.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The hipshot is designed to replace that bridge so it should fit. The stock bridge is fine for me but people seem to like the increased adjustability and claimed tonal differences.

10. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I can see the flaws in it. First of all, first string is much lower than the rest. Second, because of low tension it seems to rattle a bit the whole bridge. Third, mechanically it, pretty much, stays in the air. I don't think it can make lot of vibrations to the wood with those 3 funny screws. Further, I am afraid it's going to pull out of the wood if I get a bit harsh on the strings any time in the future. So, all in, I think it would be good way to get a rid of it from beginning. I was just curious if it's worth paying $180 for Babicz (which looks really OK), compared to $100 for Hipshot?

11. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    The Gibson 3-Point replacement bridge by Babicz can be had from Best Bass Gear for $136.49 (though they are currently out of stock); the Hipshot Supertone is $114.

Tvrtko likes this.
  12. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Unfortunate, this is gold hardware bass and requires the most expensive option.

13. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    Stay with the 3 point bridge.
    I used the Hipshot for a while and then went back to the 3 point bridge. I like it better.

It works fine. Give it a try.

96tbird, sissy kathy and Tvrtko like this.
  14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Funnily enough, the fact that the Rumblekat has gold hardware is precisely why I don't have one :D I'd gladly take one with chrome hardware!! They're such wonderful basses!

-robert

15. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    What pisses me off is that saddle on the first string is significantly lower that on second string (and all others, for that matter) and cannot be adjusted. Is that normal? Should I complain about it to seller or Epiphone?
    I think that gold color goes really nice with the red guitar. Looks very elegant.

16. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Tvrtko likes this.
  17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
  18. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Pls keep in touch with your Hipshot experience - i'm about a week behind you with my Rumblekat.

19. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    OK. I've got it and went to install it.
    There is a little arch on the place of the bridge. That has to be taken care later on. I just could not wait. I went and install it.
    Do not tight screws very hard. Because it is going to pull out bushings. During the installation, one of my bushings started to pull up and I stopped immediately. Pull was minimal. So I decided to install the strings. WOW!
    Sustain, sound tuning, all improved significantly, even with factory strings. I am still waiting for GHS Pressurewounds to arrive. But, even with factory strings, situation is much, much, MUCH! better in every meaning. Saddle screws are almost all down. I stopped doing it. Because I am waiting for the new strings. I think I am going first to glue bushings, then I will put something below to file up small arch/gap at the edges ( I am considering thin piece of rubber, just to keep it even in the place).
    Just this short 1/2 hour experiment shows me I did right thing by buying Hipshot bridge. Intonation is perfect, strings are ridiculously low and sustain is till next century.
    Sound, also in improved 100% (even with factory strings, as I said). I love it. I cannot wait to complete whole installation.

20. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    One suggestion is to use cork: Hipshot Supertone Bridge on Curved-Top Bass; Rumblekat, Casady, Etc.

Also - you say strings are low - how's buzz? Mine buzzes on the lower frets a lot if I don't have the strings a little high (still very playable), though I think I may need to loosen the truss rod just a wee bit. Does the Hipshot have a decent amount of height adjust range?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    JDT36 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021