Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alleva-Coppolo LS-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Mar 16, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, I just got back from practice with this bass and I must say it kicks ass.

The bass sounds great by itself but tonight was the first time I really put it to the test. We have a keyboard player, 2 guitars, a drummer and a young lady who has the most amazing voice. Let me say that this bass shines. It cut through with no problem at all and the tone was thick.

I play through a GK1001RB head going into a Schroeder 1212, which pushes 700w. The 'B' string sounded full and rich. The pickups and preamp are awesome and the weight (8.5lbs) felt just right. It made no difference where I played on the neck, the tone was amazing. Everyone commented on how great the bass sounded. I am hooked.

Fingerstyle or spanked, this bass delivers. Jimmy Coppolo is a master craftsman.

[​IMG]

The clip below is just going straight into the M-Box and into Pro Tools. The pickups were both at full and the EQ was set at 80% balanced bass/treble.

It's a small clip of a finger groove up high on the neck. I'll post more later.

2. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I played one his basses and I have an eye for a 5 this year.
    Amazing tone. Amazing.................................. Congratulations. You have what could be the the best in its class.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    nice. that was a pretty quick turn around time, IIRC. you only ordered it a few weeks ago, right? his prices are very reasonable too. he sent me a quote for a 4 recently and it was very good.

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Those basses are so beautiful. Congrats! You've also got the perfect color combo too :D

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Jimmy is the shizz!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, if I were a traditional J bass sort of guy than this would be my bass of choice hands down.

7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The bass was 50% completed when I selected it, which was about 2 weeks before NAMM.

His prices are a few hundred less than Sadowsky but with his popularity growing, his prices may creep up in the future.

I cannot say enough great things about this bass.

8. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks Beav! I agree...

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Yes he is.

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I bumped into him at NAMM on my way to the Aguilar booth... what a cool cat!

...when I got to the Aguilar booth, one of the demo basses was an A-C 4 stringer:
    [​IMG]

11. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Great bass...that'S Will from the Bass Exchange here in LA with David from Aguilar.

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I remember talking a little bit of shop not too long ago. One reason his necks feel so sweet, is that he gets the rough cuts from John suhr (comes square with a fret board )
    and then shapes them by hand!!! :eek: Time consuming but perfect for a "broken in" feel if you shape them correctly.

It also explains his high prices and low production numbers.
    BUT IMO - if a bolt on Jazz bass is going to cost a ton - I want all the time in the world spent on the neck.

Rock,

Awesome bass man!

~Michael

13. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks, this neck is perfect. I played for 4 hours last night and there was no fatigue in my left hand at all.

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yup, that's them! Amp Shop (Bass Exchange) is one of my favorite dealers and from what I remember, David also used to work there before moving to NYC.

BTw, that bass that will is playing SOUNDS KILLER!!

15. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Looks fantastic...Congrats! More photos!!!

16. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Dave worked at the original Bass Exchange but left before it closed to go to work for Aguilar.

They are great guys and very knowledgeable in our bass world.

And I'm sure that bass sounded great, I am blown away by mine.

17. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

If you do a search for "Alleva-Coppolo" you will find my original thread right after I received the bass. There are more pictures there.

Thanks!

18. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I added the sound clip in the first post of the thread...

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    THAT BASS SOUNDS *NICE!*
    I loove the color combo too. It takes a lot to make me jealous, and you sir, have succeeded.

20. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks for the kind words!