1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alleva Coppolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor D, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Doctor D

Doctor D

Mar 14, 2015
    I am posting to see if it is just me or do others have the same thoughts. I checked out some Alleva Coppolo basses on line and I am amazed at the cost of copies of Fenders with a different headstock design go for ridiculous prices (there are quite a few others). If one spends that kind of dough for a custom why would one buy a copy? Myself and others build customs that are exactly that, unique, one of a kind with just the electronics and specs the buyer desires. It irradiates me that they advertise these as their creations. End of rant.

2. slamsinger

slamsinger

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    Jimmys basses are the best jazz basses in the business IMO... Fit - finish- electronics- playability- necks- craftsmanship- ... That being said I can't nor will I ever justify 5-7k for a bolt on jazz bass... That's just MY opinion... I think some makers prices are OUTRAGEOUS for basses ... But I get it ... Lots of hours and labor invested in them for sure and people buy them and love them .... But I can honestly say that there's not a 5,000 dollar difference between a American fender jazz 5.... A difference ?.... FOR SURE!.... But 5,000 difference in tone - playability- fit - finish?.... I say no... Again just my opinion .... And yes I've owned 2 AC's ... Both bought used ... They hold their value AMAZINGLY WELL ....and jimmy is such an amazing person and a true gentleman with a huge heart... Many many conversations with him

r10, Ace Of Bass and Doctor D like this.
  3. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    A lot if guys that build clones, like Jimmy Coppolo and Roger Sadowsky do it largely because of the demand...a lot of session guys wanted something familiar looking with a familiar sound to take with them as they bounced around from one session to another...it made it easier for lazy producers/engineers to eq them in the mix in a hurry...I personally think that whole ideal is a bit antiquated as most one off sessions I go to have engineers that are perfectly comfortable with eq'ing whatever decent bass I bring along just as fast, so maybe with a new generation of engineers that ideal has died...still, Jimmy and Roger and many others make killer guitars for sure and there will always be a market for a classic instrument that has been improved upon even more...I love my '73 Jazz to death and it would be hard for me to give that up for just about anything..but that LM5.....Jesus...That thing nails the 70s J tone and feel like no other to me...very expensive bass... Is it worth it...? That's up to you...

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Every instrument has a price and more importantly, a value to its owner or someone eyeing one. I tend to play stock Fender basses. They work fine and to spend more would be a personal decision which may or may not really satisfy me anymore than I am now.

There are many makers are out there testing the market and guess what? Many of them have touched people in such a positive way that has made others' lives more enjoyable. Yeah, you can say it's a high a price for that BUT, the owners of finely crafted basses are probably about getting at the notes with ease and the joy those notes bring when heard. It's difficult to put a price on that.

5. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    +1...Jimmy is a freaking great guy...i too owned a couple of his basses and wouldn't mind settling down with another one...but that price is something to seriously consider....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Great basses for sure but way outta my price range. Even if I had the money, I just couldn't justify spending that kinda coin on a bass.

7. Doctor D

Doctor D

Mar 14, 2015
    Thanks for the quick replies on a monday morning folks. I get that folks are comfortable with basses they have experience with and that it plays an important part when acquiring one. From the replies already, it's nice to know Jimmy is a cool dude as are most builders I've met. Thanks again for the replies.

8. Doctor D

Doctor D

Mar 14, 2015
    That is exactly the reason I got into building them. I am fortunate to have had years of fine furniture building under my belt so making the leap was not as daunting. Ciao, Everyone knows it's very cool at the bottom.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I also put together my own basses (with the help of Kohlman Bassworks). I love the Fender aesthetics but with components of my own liking that Fender doesn't offer. Pro level custom basses for less than $1k.

Doctor D likes this.
  10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I have not been properly irradiated since my last dental x-ray. Not counting sunbeams of course.
    That aside, I agree with all comments above.

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    LOL

Don't go turning all green on us now!

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want an active J5 that sounds like a passive 60's Fender, Alleva is pretty much your choice.
    Rail on the price if you want.
    Build one better yourself, if you can.
    Find really great, really old tonewoods and fingerboard woods, if you can.

When I bought mine, used, some years ago now, it was still pretty expensive, but not like they are now.
    It's still "the most money I've spent on a bass," and I have a couple other similarly nice basses.
    It's a good tool and I like it a lot.

13. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Im posting my new build in the Alleva mega thing..If i can find it .. I just got neck photos today.. Looking forward to it..
    Its a rare Alleva that goes for 7k... The one that i saw going for that was a used one.. It originally sold for about 3900.... But in Europe it went close to 7k... USED... The only bass that i have seen go up in price when used.. lol

I know a few things about Alleva Coppolo basses.. I do like that that hold their value better than most basses.. Many times people sell them for more than they paid for them. I know that you cant do that with Fender unless you got one 25 years ago.. Ha.
    I have a few vintage fenders from the 60s and 70s and two new AM Standard P and J Basses.. Both great basses.. Well Made, sound good, feel great.. But if i want a jazz 5 that sounds and feels worn in like my 65 Jazz.. My Alleva is the only thing that can cop that IMO

And Jimmy makes almost everything in his shop. except for some hardware and pots etc... Including a new bridge that is being done up as we speak.. Its not a parts type bass.. And you can get into one for about $3000 if you go the basic model much like many other bass builders.

Sadowsky basses are priced similar to Allevas ,depending on the options that you pick. Ive seen some of those real pretty ones with matching headstock or nice wood top going for mid 5k to 6k area..

I was talking with a bass store on the west coast and teh owner told me that he cant keep the allevas in stock. He gets 3 or 4 and they are gone within a week.. He said teh same with Foderas. He sells them as fast as they come in

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    If these type basses weren't desirable, these companies would be out of business. Just the contrary. All are well made, cool as crap, and in demand! Frankly, I think most customs look ridiculous on stage.

20db pad likes this.
  15. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    PS.. i was going to EDIT my last post but figured Ill flow up.. .I realized something that i should have included earlier. People get into Allevas allot less than the stated price above... Remember , Dealers charge their markup $$$$ which can be $2k. Yes no joke.... Its supply and demand. They work hard to close deals , they deserve it... The market bares that price so the dealers can sell them at that price.
    The price of a new alleva is right inline with other similar type builders that make instruments from a block of wood or a tree trunk.. Literally... .

Buying direct can be cheaper.. But I think its better for the maker of the bass to use a dealer , that way they can focus on making basses and not the hassles of selling to people.... People will keep you on the phone or tied up in email all day if they could. Let the dealer handle that .. Obviously buying thru a dealer will cost more.
    Once the company sells the bass to the dealer, its no longer the builders bass. Its the dealers bass. They can sell it for whatever they wish.
    If i bought a car from a friend for $1000 knowing i got a deal. I can sell it for $3000 or $4000 if i wanted to.. The guy that i bought it from cant tell me how much to sell it for. Same thing with basses going from the maker to the dealers. The dealers have to make a living, pay rent on a store and electric plus pay employees and insurance too.

Personally if feel.. and this is my experience, yours may differ. But i find that Fender style basses work well in 99% of gigs. studio to live... Weddings to clubs or arena gigs. Engineers like them,,, To me ,they are ergo-dynamic and have a classic look that is appealing in conservative situations or a·vant-garde gigs... thats all just my point of view....

To me the Alleva Coppolos are the Cadillac or Mercedes of that fender style bass tone.. Pick your adjective.. Sadowsky is great. But to me his basses are more like a fender on steroids than a true to vintage fender tone. Both good..
    Thats why i recommend to my friends if ya can do it, own an alleva coppolo and a sadowsky.. You have all basses covered ... Pun intended..And a wide tonal palette to get anything you desire. IMHO.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    bucephylus, TimothyGroovy and Jim C like this.
  16. Doctor D

Doctor D

Mar 14, 2015
    Well actually, not trying to boast, but build, I definitely can. Tone woods and finger board I've stashed since the early 70's many of which can no longer be bought, legally. Not railing really, just a curiosity as to why so many customs are actually copies, nothing more nothing less.

17. Doctor D

Doctor D

Mar 14, 2015
    Well I miss that one on the old spell check but I think I'll keep it, being irradiated might help with my stage presence.

MEKer likes this.
  18. Doctor D

Doctor D

Mar 14, 2015
    I forgot to add that I appreciate the feed back. I'll have to get some Alleva pups for my next build. Thanks

19. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    So this started with an observation on seeing something online and comments

Wondering if OP ever played one.

Me, always thought headstock looked little different and thought why so much. Then BSD actually had one that didn't sell before I got there and I understood what it was all about

Played great, sounded exactly what I was looking for and gave me no choice but to buy on the spot. Never paid anywhere near this amount for a bass but with surviving a third year of downsizing at my company I dove in and haven't looked back.

You get to kinda love the headstock as the rest of the mojo works on ya

svtb15 likes this.
  20. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Sigh... yes, lots of folks think the same way you do. Talkbass is littered with post like "Why buy a Sadowsky?", "Who would pay 10K for a Fodera?", and - my personal favourite - "My $200 Squier blows away a "insert Boutique bass brand here"!!! And other such nonsense. Guys like Jimmy Coppolo, Roger Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Vinnie Fodera, Cary Nordstrand, and probably couple dozen dozen more I'm forgetting have spent decades honing their craft, and assembling basses that have particular tone for particular players. You are paying for their experience, their craftsmanship, and their intimate knowledge of how the working parts of an instrument combine to produce a musical result. Oh, and if there is a production glitch with their instrument, you send it back and they fix it - for free.

Sorry, your experience as a furniture builder - no disrespect, it is itself a demanding profession - does not necessarily qualify you as a luthier. I'm sure you can make a stunning instrument that sounds just like an armoire should. Fine furniture does not have pickups, frets, truss rods, etcetera. It does not have to sound like anything in particular. And, just because you can make something for under $1000, does that mean you would sell it to me for under $1000? In fact do just that - make 5 awesome basses and sell them for $1000, then see how you feel about it. Add in the realities of having to doing service and warranty work, then consider that you are trying to pay a mortgage. Can you still sell your basses for under $1000? Could you make a living doing it? Would you?

Dammit how these posts irradiate me.

r10, MingusBass, Kmrumedy and 4 others like this.