1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AllParts $40 MM pickup... crap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnnyLiBass, May 21, 2012.

1. Looking to see if anyone has thrown one of these cheap, or should i say inexpensive, pickups into one of their basses. $40 isnt a lot of money to piss away, but i'd rather not just flush away all my beer money on a total hunk of crap.

Thanks!
    John

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You can pick up a used Duncan or Bartolini in that price range, I'd to that route.

3. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
  4. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I've been wondering how the Kent Armstrong MM pickups stack up. The KA HBMN1 can be had for ~ $50 on ebay.

5. +1
    I have used a couple of these in different basses. Great pickup for the money!

Matt R likes this.
  6. That is crazy cheap. $30? wow. I'm certainly not tied to buying a pickup for $30-40, but more curious about the quality/ sound. I've heard really good things about the Carvin MM that you can get through their store for $79, so I was thinking about going that route... But with nice things being said about the GFS pickup, I might just have to make this bass a $$ for the same price as a single MM!

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I have a Duncan MM in my Clement custom and its an excellent pickup. Plenty of punch and cuts through 2 guitars pretty well.

8. I've had good luck with GFS pickups. Haven't tried their MM, but their P pickups and the lipstick tube humbuckers are good.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No experience with that pickup, but other than the polepieces sticking up too high, I think the stock pickups in my SX bass are quite good. So I wouldn't go strictly by price.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They are surprisingly good for what they are. I had an SX Tele here to change the pickups and some hardware, and the sounded quite good. The replacements sounded a bit better, but it wasn't Earth shattering. But boy they were funky looking!

11. Another +1 for GFS. I have the MM on this crazy "suitcase bass" a local guy put together. He put a terrible guitar pickup on it, but I replaced it with the GFS, and it made a whole world of difference

12. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
  13. I had a Duncan Designed in a parts bass that I bought, and it sounded terrible IMO. I tossed it out and replaced it with a real MM pickup :D

14. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    I have two of the all parts MM 40 pickups in a reworked KEN SMITH PROTO-J with an AGILAR OBP-3 andtheres no sound I cant get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome especially for the money!