1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Allparts generic electric bass flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by markdavid, Feb 19, 2016.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi

Anybody used these? http://www.allparts....s-45-100-nickel haven't heard much about them and found no info online on them but have ordered a set. At £8.40 a set I figure its got to be worth the gamble, would love to hear some opinions if anyone here has used them

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Garbage strings. They sound and feel awful. Not even good for the money. Truly terrible strings.

3. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Darn thats a shame, at least it wasn't an expensive mistake i suppose

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's possible you might like them. I bought a bass from a guy here who also tried them out of curiosity. He told me they were crap when I bought the bass and I agreed.

It's not just a matter of not liking them. They seemed poorly made. Cheap rounds can be perfectly functional but not so much with flats.

trothwell likes this.
  5. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Ok thanks, i will try them, i fully expect to hate them but if you never try you never know, what was the tension like on them?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It was a few years ago so I don't really remember. I'd say about average tension.

7. If you fully expect to hate something...you will.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Gorn does have a point, however, with conventional rounds, it is easier to consistently wind a string, as the round wire naturally wants to fit both the core and the winding next to it. With the flat ribbon wrap, more attention must be paid to the winding process so there are no kinks or overlaps and that the tension and density of the wrap is consistent.