1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative slap technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ihasmario, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ihasmario

ihasmario

Sep 19, 2011
    I'm looking for a different way to get the slap sound without sacrificing too much speed.

My days at the con on piano and sax ended up giving me wrist problems so the slap motion isn't the easiest for me to do.

So far I've thought of the idea of smacking the top of the string with my finger tips instead, which works alright, but I'd like to know if anyone has found anything else?

2. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    If you have developed your slap technique well, it is very effortless. Even more relxed than pizz because of the better wrist position.

3. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Right now there are several different technique to obtain slap sound other than the classical one, you cna check some on my YouTube videos.
    Anyway if you have found a way to obtain your slap tone with a particular position and you are comfortable with that keep work on it.
    All the new technique today come from a personal approach form other musicians to the classical technique, so my suggestion is, if you found something that you like and you reach the sound you was looking for keep to work on it.
    Anyway for any help just pm me, I will be happy to help you.
    Cheers. Enrico

4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Try John Entwistles "Typewriter" technique:

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

5. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    It's all in the thumb.
    If you're bass is set up well the thumb should
    be nice an easy.
    I find the typewriter technique hard to do.

7. SamJPow

SamJPow

Apr 14, 2012
    I occasionally slap with the tips of my fingers like you mentioned, and it works great for me. It's a good, solid slap bass tone with a little practice, and you can seamlessly transition between slapping and fingerstyle that way