1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to a EV RE20/Beyerdynamic M99 like mic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Reignwolf, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Reignwolf

Reignwolf

May 19, 2016
    Hi :)

I have just started with some basic recording. To now I've just been playing around with the DI but what I want is to record the bass cabinet.

I would really like a broadcasting microphone with a really flat frequency response just like the EV RE20 or the Beyerdynamic M99.
    The problem is that as a beginner I would like to get something a bit less expensive (but not dirty cheap).
    The M99 goes for 3600 NOK (430 USD) and the RE20 goes for 7000 NOK (over 700 USD) where I live, the used marked is really small.

Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Having an expensive mic is nice but that can come in time. There are less expensive alternatives to start with. Go with what you can best afford. It also depends on what you are recording. Good misc for vocals or drums may not be optimal for bass. The best mics for acoustic bass and bass guitar can vary. So things can get expensive fast.

Other bass mics that people like are the Heil PR40, Sennheiser MD421, and Beyer M88. Condenser mics have more dynamic range. As a reference there are some less expensive ones listed here: Large Diaphragm Condenser Mics Under $1000 - Microphones Under $1000 - Microphones - Vintage King Audio.

Look at the AKG mics. I have an AKG P2 that performs better in the low end than a very common Sure SM57. They offer other affordable mics.

If you are into DIY, an option is to build a mic from a kit. Here is one source for ribbon mics: DIY Audio Components. For vintage mics: micandmod.

3. Reignwolf

Reignwolf

May 19, 2016
    Thank you! I have sort off overlooked condenser microphones for recording bass. What would be the pros and cons for using a condenser instead off an dynamic mic, which seems to be the most popular kind of mic for that purpose?

4. first where do you live?

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Condensers offer more bandwidth, good sensitivity to pick up nuances. They are often used in recording studios. This video offers more detail and will answer some of your questions. Most condensers cost more but there are affordable ones available.

There is a lot to learn. Unless you have a specific application that requires a good mic, stay with more affordable products. Gain experience. The fancy gear will come with time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use an old Russian made Oktava MC-012 with cardioid cap. Bought it used for $125 US.
    Works great on a bass cab.

7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
  8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Proof that you don't have to spend a lot. I have an old Peavey dynamic mic that works well live.

9. Reignwolf

Reignwolf

May 19, 2016
    Norway.

10. Reignwolf

Reignwolf

May 19, 2016
    Yeah, it's a bit easy to get a little stuck when it comes to gear. I will be searching for a good, but affordable mic to begin with. For now I want to keep the recording rig fairly simple and learn each part before building up.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  11. ok, I would recommend European mics then and look used. should be able to find a sennheiser md421 or md441, beyer m88, beyer m380, beyer tgx 50, etc on the used market.

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006