1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to Gallien Krueger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Boy J, May 13, 2020.

1. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    Hello. I am on a quest for a new rig, and looked at GK, but it is out of my price range. I was wondering if Ampeg or Peavy were good alternatives to this brand.

arbiterusa likes this.
  2. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What sound are going after? What styles of music do you play? Have you looked at used GK equipment?

3. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    A mix between the Duff Mckagan GnR sound, and a Cliff Burton/Lemmy Kilmister Hybrid sound.

DrMole, Datsgor and BassJeesus like this.
  4. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    And yes I looked at used GK stuff, but a lot of the stuff that is in my price range is pretty old. I just want to have a head that will last me until I am 18 or 20, because I am 15.

Peteyboy likes this.
  5. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    I also play a lot of punk/hard rock music, like gnr, velvet revolver, Metallica, etc.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

What's the price range we're talking about ?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    $500. Already have my cabinets picked out.

8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Is used gear from a reliable seller an option? I would think $500 could get you something like a used 700RB (which will likely last until you're 30) or an MB500 which should also be reliable enough to serve you into your 20's.

If you have a sound in your head and GK gets you there, I would not be afraid of buying used. GK, especially the RB line, is as reliable as anything out there IME. I have friends with 20 and 30 year old GK gear that plays fine...my SWR SM-400S is from the early 90's, was recently checked out, found to be in fine order, and still sounds killer. Don't be afraid of higher quality older gear as long as you know who owned it and how it was cared for.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  9. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I have two 400RBs from the mid to late 80s, an MB200 and an MB500 from from 2012ish. Never had an issue with any of them and they are all gigged regularly. I don't think you have to worry too much about a used GK amp lasting you 3-5 years.

CAILLOUX, Aqualung60, TonyP- and 8 others like this.
  10. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    I also want something that is no more than 7 lbs

11. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    You should be able to find a 400RB for about half your budget, and an 800 RB for right about at your budget. These are getting a little harder to find now that their getting a little older, but earlier 1001s and 700s should be in your budget too. The used one’s should be pretty reliable too. I’ve had at least one GK amp in my possession non-stop for the last 35 years and never needed service on any of them.

12. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Duder likes this.
  13. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
  14. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    ????

Are you going to wear your amp?

15. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

The MS60B has a Gk amp sim. Its pretty darn good.

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Used GK?

You can definitely get a used MB 500, maybe an MB800 for $500.

Lammchop93, BOOG, Jazz Ad and 2 others like this.
  17. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Maybe a power amp & a pre amp pedal will get you the various sounds you are looking for

descendent22 likes this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Bingo.

Raw N Low, TonyP-, TinIndian and 2 others like this.
  19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    This is a joke

20. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Easily get an ampeg pf350 or pf500 used and still have $$ left over in the budget

4StringMadness and dkelley like this.