1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

aluminum pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scrodzilla, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I know that gold-anodized aluminum pickguards are available for a P-bass, but has anyone seen a silver one? One of my black Fenders would love to wear one if such a thing exists. Any info will be appreciated!

(Not sure if I posted this in the right area. If not, mod...sorry...please feel free to move it!)

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I had an aluminum pickguard on my MusicMan SUB, but never saw one for a P. I'm sure you could probably have one made though.

3. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    An aluminium guard would look pretty sweet. You could have a really classy german kitchen style bass with brushed aluminium and marble-looking glossy black or marble finish somehow...

4. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    guitarcenter has them
    i was about to buy one
    they have some crazy pickguards

5. I wouldn't mind finding a silver aluminum pickguard myself. I'm building a "Rat Rod" Precision using a flat black body and thought it would look pretty slick.

WD has a "brushed silver" guard you might want to look at.

FYI, I can't comment on WD's service or their products, because I've never bought anything from them.

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_precision_bass_pickguards_13569_ctg.htm

6. Yeah...I saw the "brushed silver" one on the WD site last night but that's not quite what I had in mind. I'd much rather have an aluminum one with a dull finish, just like the gold '57 reissue one (except silver). A friend with a gold one on his bass suggested I get a gold one and scrub the gold finish off, as they appear to be silver underneath in some of the worn spots.

Having one made seems like it may be a little bit of a pain in the butt (and expensive). Who would I even talk to?

7. Well, I'll be damned. I saw this post after responding to the one below it. Guitar Center does have one (even though it's 60 bucks)! Thanks!

8. Do you have a link? Are you sure it is not a shield?

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The anodized Fender pickguard on my P-Bass is silver underneath. Thats because the gold is just a plating on top of aluminum. Hence anodized. :D

10. allotabass

allotabass Guest

11. That's exactly what I was thinking. The only thing throwing me a little off this option is the pre-drilled thumb rest-type holes found on the 57're-issue pickguards.
    (As a side note...and i may just be naive...but what the hell kind of "thumb rest" should ever be found below the pickup???)

12. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    FWIW, I once saw a very spendy original 59 Precision in black with a silver aluminum guard... it looked stock. Is that possible?

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Caution is warranted if you are trying to put a '57 P-bass style pickguard on a MIM, MIJ, or MIA p-bass. The hole pattern and count are different.

Actually, usually folks are trying to go the other way, that is, put a standard tort-type or mother of toilet seat pickguard on a '57 or "50's classic" style P.

I'd proceed with caution and be sure of a fit.

14. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    very much so, i know someone who has a 2-tone sunburst '58 with silver aluminum guard. he definitely said that the bass wasn't all-original but i'm pretty sure he said that only the pickup was changed.

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Its not a thumb rest:p

16. My basses are such rats that I don't care if I need to drill some new holes. They take care of me and I do love them, though. :D

17. I know it must not be a thumb rest...but what the hell is it??? :confused: