Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alvin Moody with Gavin DeGraw

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 12, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know that there are some players from NYC who hang out here so maybe they can help.

I never buy pop albums. Everytime I go into the record store to get one I see too many jazz albums that I want and I stray to those. Well, some friend's turned me on to the Gavin DeGraw "Stripped" cd and I bought it. It's the extra cd that you can get with Chariot. What a killin disc. The band is all over it and Gavin writes fantastic tunes and sings his a** off. Well, the bass player is Alvin Moody and his playing and tone on that album is perfect. Great stuff. I'd love to find out what he used to record the album, his tone is that good. I can't place the sound of the bass. Any ideas? I don't usually worry about such things but it really is an amazingly supportive sound and I can't stop wondering what instrument he used. Thanks.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not that this proves anything, but in the video he is playing a Sadowsky.

Hope that sort of helps.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've seen pics of him using a Pensa with a maple board. Not sure if it's the one he used on the album though.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Butterscotch Blonde-ish, no pick guard or control plate?

Maybe it was a Pensa then.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    All those years playing the Bitter End paid off for Gavin, very good album!!!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    gavin writes some great songs, but "Chemical Party" sounds waaaaaay too much like Jeff Buckley's "Eternal Life" to my rather annoyed ears. still, alvin on the record is pretty rockin', and stripped is pretty darn good. also, love joey waronker's feel. he's by far one of my most fav studio drummers.

at any rate, my gf dragged to see Gavin, and Alvin was KILLIN' the whole night. was using a Pensa from what i remember. mentioned it to the guys at Rudy's Repair who build the Pensa's, and they told me he's got jazz basses up the yingyang: Pensa, Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland, etc. etc. etc. they've seen it all.

but wouldnt be surprised if the Pensa is his main, cause Pensa basses and especially the onboard pre are HIGHLY underrated, and IMHO sound terrific. interestingly enough, for a long while, i saw more guys in NYC using Pensa's than Sadowsky's. but you didnt hear that from me. :bag: ;)

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm glad you mentioned Joey Waronker. What a great drummer. His feel is all there on the Stripped album. Believe it or not I hear hints of Keith Carlock in there whether or not that's intentional or not. Oh yeah, and Oz Noy playing acoustic guitar????? Very cool. I have to say that I don't care for the studio album at all but the Stripped album knock's me out.

Any pictures of Alvin that I've seen has been with his Pensa. That's the only Jazz bass copy I'd ever own I think. I like that the Pensa 2 band pre has treble cut and boost. That's a big deal. Very smart.

Gavin's new bass player is Whynot who's not too shabby himself. The only time I've seen Whynot is subbing on the Wayne Krantz gig! :eek: He read the whole gig..........

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    emjazz' coolness rating = +19,346 pts :cool: :D

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Keith Carlock is one bad mother-shutyourmouth :cool:

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

i'm totally gonna use that now... :D

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Noone affects me as much as Keith Carlock when I see him play, truely. I told him that he's like an oncoming tornado; seeing him play makes you excited and scared at the same time.....I hope to see him play again soon now that he's back from doing the Sting gig.