1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Always more choices...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hinto, May 9, 2010.

1. Hinto

Hinto

May 9, 2010
    Hi, I've been playing guitar for a very long time, but did play some bass when I was younger (30 years ago...). I'd like to get a bass and start playing again, just for fun, it's such a cool instrument to play.

So...

I have a chance to get a Fender Zone MIM in very good condition. It comes with the original gig bag, plus a hardshell case. Also includes a Marshall MB30 bass combo amp. The seller is asking $600.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the bass and amp, trying to determine if this is good value for the money. Any feedback would be appreciated.

In particular, can I get more bang for the buck for my $600? I know I can get a bass and amp for that money, just not sure it would be as good.

Cheers.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Yes. SX basses new and acoustic rigs. SX's go for $100 starting new and a decent acoustic goes for like $300

3. Hinto

Hinto

May 9, 2010
    Cool, any particular models I should be looking at?

4. Fender Zone basses had some issues with their electronics. The price you're quoting should give you a range of options. Are you in the USA or elsewhere? Makes a difference on availability of gear...

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
  6. Hinto

Hinto

May 9, 2010
    I'm in Canada, so I do have access to a fair amount of stuff even though my local stores are sometimes limited. But between ebay and the magic of the Internet I can order quite a bit of stuff from the US, and the exchange rate is good these days! :).

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Essex (SX) and Squier are your best bets on eBay. I wouldn't look at a SX over $100 tho, even with some mods.

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh and welcome to TB

9. Here's a nice MIM Fender at a decent price, for sale right here on tb:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655227&highlight=cowpoke

(no connection with the seller, just happened upon it myself and it looks good)

I have one of these (bought it from another TB'er) and it's an excellent player. Has active electronics like the Zone.

Put the rest into a decent amp (can't comment on the Marshall f/s with the Zone bass, not familiar)

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Cowpokes are nice but if you'r looking for cheap a SX with new strings and setup is the way to go. I played a 5er jazz that IMO had a tighter B than the american fender 5ers

11. Hinto

Hinto

May 9, 2010
    Well I'll take a good look at the SX models at Rondo Music, the most expensive 4 string only runs $120.

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    They are pretty nice!

13. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Welcome to Talk Bass. :) Get a Squier and a Traynor amp.

Fred

14. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    If I were starting over again...I would be looking into all of the used stuff on the classifieds here on TB. There is so much more bang for the buck.........just my two cents...and by the way, I love my Marshall...MB4210