1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I a good bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FBS1996, Apr 4, 2011.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  3. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    You played a cover good. But in order to determine if your a good bassist would require me to judge you on quite a bit more attributes than a single cover of a Rise Against song.

Lets see:

How many techniques can you execute?
    How well do you improv in multiple genre?
    Can you write songs/bass lines in every key?
    Can you sing?
    et cetera

4. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    What does singing have to do with being a good bass player? Did James Jamerson sing? John Paul Jones? Jaco?

The most important question: Can you groove? All the rest is useless if you can't groove.

5. erock0138

erock0138

Feb 4, 2011
    Cincinnati
    i used played tons of punk/hardcore music. And I really got quite good at it. Playing along with mike dirnt, or matt freeman (both still fabulous in my opinion) But the key is to be proficient in more styles, jazz, blues, funk especially. punk/heavier stuff Often overlooks locking it in with the drummer (Not all, but most) and staying in the pocket. But it all depends on what type of music you want to play. The groove is what makes the band tighter. And singing goes towards being a better musician, not a bass player IMO

6. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That was my point. It may make you more valuable to a band, but it does not make you play bass better.

7. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Don't ask us, ask your drummer!

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    yep. I went with Bassists.

9. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    You play with a pick better than me, I know that.

10. Being a good BASSIST is not about how fast,how flashy,how many notes you can play,or how well you can cover a song. It's about being able to know what NOT to play, WHEN to play it, and how to execute it properly. It's about having solid timing and knowing when to hold back and let everybody else shine, and when to step forward and have your few seconds. It's about supporting the BAND, and the SONG, not about making yourself look good. We cannot tell you if you're a good bassist by watching a video of you covering a song. We may be able to tell you that you can play the bass well, but not if you're a good bassist, they're two different things.

11. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    You seem pretty decent at that song. I think your intonation could use a lot of work. You're also pretty close to being locked in but your timing slips whenever you move between riffs or have to make jumps.

12. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    + A LOT

Playing the bass well and being a good bassist are different things, though they overlap to a degree. I agree with everything above, most importantly playing bass is a supportive instrument for 95% of players, so it's all about how you interact with other musicians, which will be affected by your stylistic knowledge, musical knowledge, technical skills, feel&groove, ect...

13. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Biiiiiig +1

And I would say this holds true for any member of the band. That's what separates the pros from the dweebie wannabes.

14. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Sounds like a question you should be asking yourself! I've been playing for 25 years, and I don't think I'll ever live up to my personal expectations, sipmly because there are always more. You are your toughest critic. The answers lie within.

15. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    Fixed.

16. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    You've got some timing issues. Work on that, make sure you can REALLY get in the pocket with the drummer.

That said, playing well to a recording in your bed room is one thing. Playing well with good tone and in the pocket on a loud stage with bad monitors is a whole other thing. Or in a studio where perfect precision is necessary. That's where you really start to be able to measure how "good" someone is, not with a homemade youtube video.

People are getting kinda heady (somewhat unnecessarily) on you in this thread. It was clear to me that you were looking for input on how you play punk rock music, not for insight into your soul as a musician. For the genre, you're pretty good at it. Not really good, but pretty good. I like your tone and your attack. Time and fluidity need work.

I think this is the wrong thread to turn into the old "you need to learn all styles and techniques and know lots of harmony to be good" type of thread. No, you need that to be good in styles that require that knowledge, and to be a versatile and knowledgeable player. You can be a very good punk or rock player without that stuff. Of course, you can always be better with it.

17. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    Thank you man, by far the most helpful comment in this thread. I'm gonna try and work on timing cos that's always been a bit of an issue for me.

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What exactly does that mean?

19. It's not what you play, it's how you play it!

20. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    u play nice. to me you are awesome, but because i started last year, any way u just need to believe in u self, like kungfu panda no special ingrediens to be the best

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021