Am i just unlucky???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TenorClef, Jun 5, 2005.

1. I ordered a Gallien Krueger 150E from Music123 in the States and it did'nt work, sent it back waited like forever and then the replacement they sent me did'nt work either. Each time i plugged them into my mains supply the light came on for a second and then just died :crying: Looks like i'm going to have to send it back to the US and look for something hear in the UK instead. What on earth is wrong? Am i just unlucky?
  2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Have proper allowances been made for the difference between the North American (120 VAC, 60Hz) electrical system and the British (240 VAC, 50Hz)?
  3. Sorry if it sounds obvious, but are you sure it's set for 240V (you are in the UK, right?) - the 150 uses a standard IEEE plug. I've just checked my manual, and there's nothing about changing a tap or switch to go from 110 to 240V… I wonder if that could be part of your problem.

- Wil

Oops - sorry, Damon - duplicate post…
  4. Well looks like i've been having a 'blonde' day, should have thought of that. :meh: Well i'll see if i can have the amp repaired here in the UK to work on our power consumption failing that i'll just send it back and look for something over here.
  5. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    For a little more money you might look into an Acoustic Image Contra. Better sound (many think so, at least), not that much more money, and from what I have heard Acoustic Image is accommodating about European power needs. Just a thought...
  6. What about the Roland Cubes? They seem to be getting a good feedback from slab players, any UDB's tried one out. They look great for the price.
  7. For the record, tried a Roland Cube 30 Bass amp today and in my opinion its just not loud enough for most settings and would probably mean purchasing a pre-amp to boost the volume, the Cube did however sound pretty funky with a slab, has more gizzmos on it than i'd ever think a bassist would need. Well thought out bass guitar amp, thumbs down for double bass players though IMHO.
  8. Cool i just got my amp back from being repaired, sent it to here in the UK, a Lancashire based company. Really keen to try it but it's 7 a.m and my wife would kill me, so later i'm going to do a follow up on my opinion of the GK as i have noticed lately it seems to be getting a bad review from some forum users. The tech guy who fixed it said i had blown the fuse as you guys had sugggested but apparently their is an internal power regulater in the GK which he switched to UK settings.
  9. Still does'nt work so sending it back to the manufacturer. I have a Marshall AS50 not esp loud but it'll do as my back up for now until i can come across something better.
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Arghh. What a pain. I seem to remember a similar problem with my 150 many moons ago. I can't even recall what I did with that amp....I've been through a lot of amps since then.
  11. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Bad luck.
    I've problems with my combo- designed for acoustic instruments- Crate "Telluride" (2x8+ tweeter, 125 Watts RMS).
    Suddenly, after 7 months it started buzzing. Fortunately, Mr. Menno DeBoer from Crate promised me a new one, and I'm still waiting.
    They don't know, what happened.
    Bad luck, it happens.
    Best regards
  12. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I had a GK 150 for 7 years.
    got stolen.
    bought a new one and had problems with the plug and board.
    Bought another one and had the same problem.

GKs are not made how they used to.
    Factory factor.
    Bye bye GK
  13. yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Been there done that! :)