1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the only one having problems with MarkBass tweeters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Agito, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    Mine tweeter went caput on my traveler 151p after a gui**** asked to play my bass and was rather gorilla handed.

2. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Good to know I'm not alone... It means these tweeters are weak, I probably will order a better one other then having tech supports with MB...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    they are not good tweeters for sure. otoh, i never blew one in my old cmd121p.

4. I've had no probs with mine either-HR151STD. Do these have different tweeteras??? I think they do. Mine aint a Piezo one AFAIK.
    I use envelope filters, Fuzz & Wah pedal(tho not all at once ;-) My tweeter is USUALLy set at 1/4 or less tho.
    What level do you set yours at??

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the 151std has a compression driver instead of a piezo. much better choice, imho.

6. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I'll probably change to a better tweeter as someone here mentioned
    I can't set the tweeter volume in my amp...

7. Again, there will be a few tweeter failures in any design, especially if you abuse it. Four in a row... something going on that is strange and specific to you. The good news is, tweeters (even pretty good ones) are relatively inexpensive, so you should be able to swap the fried tweeter out pretty easily. If the new one blows, then you would need to re-evaluate the situation. My guess is, it will.

8. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I had a few clipping problem, 2-3 times, no idea why exactly, wasn't a faulty cable, the input of the amp seems a bit loose...

9. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    No, you aren't the one.
    I'm a long time Italian's bass forum user and this had been quite a common problem over the years

10. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    It's good to know I'm not the only one that his MB amp can't withstand a bit aggression playing, can you please link me in PM or here? I will use Google translate, I need to read those posts to understand the situation.

11. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    You got any clips of how you sound with it when it was working? That would help put to rest anyone saying you're 'killing' it with too much treble.

12. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    small chance, but if youre using envelope filters without compression, those are like shooting bullets into your tweeters. my DOD FX25 has cause a number of tweeters to go sour.

13. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I probably have some clips, but it doesn't really matter, my treble is flat and maybe a third centimeter boosted.

It seems like my tweeter shuts down when I play low notes and it resumes working afterward, though those are signs that the tweeter is dying...

Edit: I don't use the envelope often and even if I do I usually play it softly not causing too much lows or extreme highs.

14. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    it's the piezo tweeter

mine went too
    i always go clean and it was at low volume

i have seen many other posts about MB cabs and blown piezo tweeters

i love their cabs but in the future i will look for one without the piezo

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Tweeters are damaged by clipping. When an audio waveform is clipped, it become a square wave, which is composed of many higher order harmonics. So you get FULL POWER of your amp at high to supersonic frequencies and poof! there goes your tweeter that is designed only to handle a few watts normally.

Since this has happened more than once, It is something in your setup or playing that is blowing the tweeter. Since the MB amp is capable of huge power output, I suggest you solve the problem before you keep trying and blowing tweeters. AT LEAST fuse it!

16. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm sorry to say that, but if these tweeters can't handle slapping and aggressive playing they don't worth much and I should look for a better one.
    Bass playing varies a lot, from soft playing to aggressive Geddy Lee and slapping, if a bass amp tweeter can't handle this, it's a design fault and it seems like it happens to a lot of people from what I read here.
    I'll make sure my next tweeter can survival a nuclear blast before I replace my current one.

I love MarkBass amps but seriously &@#?!

17. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I seem to recall not liking the sound of the MB cabinets with the piezo tweeter, so in addition to improving reliability, upgrading may also give you a better tone. Not sure, but I think that the piezo sounded disconnected from the woofer and perhaps tinny. It's been quite a while....

18. I agree with you there that if the tweeter circuit of the combo's can't handle a particular aggressive playing style without a significant number of failures, it would not be the cab for you. I personally hate piezo tweeters (at least as they are typically used in cheaper cabs), but hadn't really seen many failures reported on this website. I assume that is due to most who purchase a small combo not playing with that aggressive style. Still no excuse though, I agree.

My recommendation would be to contact MB and get a replacement tweeter, and then sell the combo and get something a bit more heavy duty, whether that be an MB head with a different cab (including some of their stand alone models with higher end compression horns and attenuators), or a different brand all together.

19. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm probably going to change to a better tweeter or sell my MB CMD151P with the Traveler 102

Electronics are annoying.
    btw
    Can't I replace the Piezo with a Compressed tweeter? Would it fit and work?

20. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    It seems like a disease, my bass teacher's MarkBass got a blown up tweeter as well... |:
    Anyone here knows about a tweeter that might fit into 151p and 121p? (Two different amps, I'm asking for someone)
    Thank you in advance