1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the only one having problems with MarkBass tweeters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Agito, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Thanks, I will try that exactly as you prescribed. I tried something like that a while back, but heard nothing. My cab seems to sound alright, though. I must say that I am playing passive basses, both with flats. But, my old Fender Bassman 150 has a piezo and lets me hear it, or not hear it when I turn it off. It's noticeable.

Markbass specs say the piezo is crossed over at 3.5Khz. It says that for all their cabs, I think.

2. I think piezo's are usually just hi passed, or even just allowed to sit there without any sort of extra protection or filtering. However, I'm not an EE, and that gets a bit over myhead. BillF would probably know.

Anway, not much above 3.5K coming out of a bass with flats (at least somewhat broken in flats), so my 'crank the hiss' test is probably a good way to see if the piezo is 'working but not needed' given your bass's range, or if it is blown.

Either way, with your bass and strings, you should be just fine!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Any thoughts on a possible design flaw in the crossover? I had an Epifani cab that somehow the tweeter blew. Called up and they said get a new diaphragm. I bought a new diaphragm and installed and no luck. Figured it was a fried crossover. I ended up trading the cab away before getting a chance to bring it to Nick and have him troubleshoot in the shop.

I also obtained a Genz Benz 4x10 cab and the tweeter wasn't working. It ended up being a blown light bulb/fuse protection thingy. Had my tech replace with an OEM from GB and it's working fine now. Do the Markbass cabs have any sort of protection for the tweeters?

4. I believe Nick uses a hi pass filter without an protection. I remember back in the day he made a bit deal about how those protection circuits mess with the tone. Just like those who make a big deal about an LPad on a mid driver, I'm sure there is something to it, but sometimes these guys miss the forest for the trees, and don't consider the positives versus the negatives.

The only tweeter I've ever blown was on an Epi cab, but a simple diaphragm replacement took care of it, and I was abusing the cab when I blew it.

I don't think they would use a protection circuit on those cheap little piezo tweeters.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I just tried the test last night with my LMIII head and 151P cab with my gain and master full on. The amp was still so quiet I had to get down on the floor. I could hear a little hiss from the speaker, but none from the tweeter. My bass was unplugged. I forgot to turn the tweeter knob full on, but it was at -2db, so I'll have to try it again. But, sounds to me like I may be tweeterless.

6. Yeah, sounds like that little piezo gave up the ghost. Tends to happen with those. Easy to plug in a new one if you so choose, or just run it as a one way cab if it sounds good to you.

7. I've had Radio Shack piezos in my EV cubes for many, many years. I wired them in parallel without a cross-over or protection. They have never failed me.

I've had a couple of MB tweeters fail....are they that cheaper than Radio Shack piezos from the early 80's?

8. I have no idea. The Markbass cabs with the compression driver type tweeters are quite nice, and very few reports of any issues. The models with the piezo tweeters seem to have significant issues with those blowing out. So, I have no clue, other than to recommend that those looking to purchase a Markbass cab make sure they (IMO) screen out those cabs with the piezo pickups.

9. bobbyp5

bobbyp5

Jun 23, 2013
    I too am having problems with blowing the piezo tweeter in my MarkBass amp. It's such a great amp and it's too bad they put such a cheap tweeter in an amp with so much power and so much tone. I am on my fourth tweeter. Problem is, I find it makes such a big difference with a working tweeter especially since I slap quite a bit. Which is probably the reason why I am on my fourth tweeter. I am thinking about using a compressor...maybe that would help. Does anyone know of an upgrade that will fit?

10. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    You could upgrade to a GK rig.

11. bobbyp5

bobbyp5

Jun 23, 2013
    Yeah...got a GK gig. It's great but the MarkBass is so totally easy to lug around...and I get more compliments on it that any other amp I own.

12. Apparently these are a good substitute for the cheap piezo tweeter but they are near impossible to get here in North America.

http://www.monacor.de/en/products/speaker-technology/pa-tweeters-and-horn-tweeters/ht-30/

I put in an email to the manufacturer asking if there was any way to get one here either direct or through a dealer and did not get any response. There are a bunch on Ebay in the UK but all the sellers wont ship overseas. I wish I could get a couple of them so bad for my SWR Baby Baby Blue 110 combo. They use the same tweeter as the Markbass.

13. bobbyp5

bobbyp5

Jun 23, 2013
    I just checked it out on ebay and it says they will ship to the US. I am going to try it. Thanks for the info!

14. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    ROACH??? dont laugh.we had a cruddy sound from a PA tweeter and found a big creepy crawly head first in the thing. it had been in the garage for about a month. just an idea.

15. That's great news! Link please!!!! I'll def get one. I still can't find it.

16. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I have to disagree with the post saying the combo amps aren't as well made as the separates. I have had my cmd121p for years,and sounds fantastic,and has been extremely reliable. I did bypass the tweeter pretty early on,i don't like them,and they sound especially bad if you're using any kind of grit/distortion devices. (I use a VT pedal at all times). I recently added a traveller 112 cab,which has a compression horn instead of a piezo,and for the rare occasions i go for a clean sound,it sound great. Fortunately,it also has an attenuator,so it can just be turned off completely. I have never thought my sound was lacking in high end going through just the 12" drivers.

17. bobbyp5

bobbyp5

Jun 23, 2013
    Glad I waited. I will order from them too.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I don't think the tweater has ever worked on my 210 traveler...but I hate them so I don't care.