1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the only one having problems with MarkBass tweeters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Agito, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Hi
    It's the 4th time I'm having problem with MarkBass amps though I keep all the basic rules to make sure the amp will work fine.

First time with my first CMD151P (We'll call it amp no.1)
    The power supply/board went poof
    2nd time - tweeter went poof
    3rd time - again with the tweeter
    The store replaced my amplifier (Thankfully the store is made of great people that will give the best support)

They gave me the new CMD151P (Combo head II)
    Everything was working fine, I made sure the amplifier won't clip, I didn't use high volumes and barely played with effects, and even if I did, they didn't clip or were in high volume.

And bam
    4th time the tweeter's gone.

Anyone else had the same problem as I'm having?
    Just wanted to know, cause this is ridiculous...

2. Hi.

Twitter???

Tweeter?

There's a remote possibility that for some reason Your pickups are somehow overloading the tweeters, but that should be fully audible and that should also sound absolutely horrible.

A strange problem indeed, I hope someone can help You.

Regards
    Sam

3. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Oh, sorry, got confused with the social network and the actual thing, it's not a word which I use often.
    Anyhow, it can't be the pickups, I used a lot of different basses on the amp, first it was a passive J-Bass, then Ibanez Prestige and a Precision, it can't be the instrument, I made sure.

4. This is a strange one, since there are a zillion posts about these cabs and combo's, with very few blown tweeter posts that I'm aware of (at least no more than is typical with most cabs).

Are you using an envelope filter? That can do some nasty things to tweeters when set incorrectly?

5. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    See if you can return it for a Markbass Jeff Berlin. No tweeter.

6. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    I used envelope filter and fuzz a few times, but not in the way it can cause any damage, I used it as kinda of a auto-wah thingy/the bass sound for Amanitas by Les Claypool.

And unfortunately I don't know if I can return it, it's been a year and a half already and the store stopped supplying MarkBass because of some issue... (not technical one)

7. My guess is, that might be the issue, since again, I'm unaware of any systemic issues with the Markbass combo tweeters failing.

8. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    It's impossible for one reason, the last time I used the envelope was at least month ago, and I mainly play clean and even if I do plug effects I'm not playing in high volumes that can cause any damage...

9. Not sure what is going on then. Again, if you experience the same thing over and over again, and nobody else does, the issue is not with the amp. Good luck with it though, but not sure what it would be except for the envelope filter, which I think can do some funky things to tweeters even at moderate volumes. Playing 'clean' has nothing to do with it.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Do you play active basses with the treble boosted?

11. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Nope, I barely boost the treble, most of the time it's flat and maybe a little bit boosted, I only boost the lows a bit and mainly the mids.

12. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Wondering if you're not clipping the amp, or otherwise overloading the tweeter with high frequencies? Clipping is hardest on tweeters, because square waves contain a lot of high frequency energy. One solution is to replace the stock piezo tweeter with something better. That would probably improve the sound as well....

13. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    in answer to the title of the thread-

"Yes!"

:p looks that way anyways! sorry i cant help, its a bummer of a problem though.

14. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    It's weird, I never play in high volumes and never clip the amp nor boosting high frequencies.... Everything was fine the last rehearsal last Friday, I plugged the amp today it worked a bit and then the tweeter started to showing dead signals... (No hiss)

15. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Some think that the only good bass tweeter is a dead tweeter, and that the only problematic tweeters are those that are used with bass . . . ;)

16. Did the amp leave your possession in that period of time?

17. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    It was in my home just sitting there, not plugged and no one touched it.

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1 :D

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    faulty AC outlet???

20. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Every other thing in my room and the rehearsal room is fine...