1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I the only player that prefers heavy basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazerrus, May 25, 2011.

1. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    Anybody out there like their basses on the heavier side? I mean I don't want to feel like I have a cinder block hanging off my shoulder but I do prefer heavier basses. I am a bigger guy so the weight is not a problem and I like the feel of the weight. It stays put so to speak. I see guys all the time use the light weight of a bass as a selling point. Am I a loner here?:confused:

2. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    I agree... that is one of the things that always turned me off of the Ibanez basses... always seemed sooooo light to me. I have a P bass that is heavy... not sure on the weight. My OLP 5 string was heavy too... I need to feel like I have something around my neck :)

3. I do like heavier basses to an extent.

I have a number of lighter basses, and just don't like how they sit.

(also on the bigger guy side of things, 6ft4, 270ish lbs and a number of years in the gym).

4. Yes, out of the thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of bass guitarists in the world, you are the only one who can take, let alone prefer, the weight of a heavier bass. A lone wolf among the weak masses, you shall lead us and our kind to salvation and liberate our bodies, minds and spirits from lightweight basses.

My liege, we await your command.

:p

5. LOL
    No not really, though it also has to do with touch. .... I prefer heavier basses, alder over ash. ..... My fretless, alder & Ebony is inching into the 9 to 10 lb range but I prefer it cause I like to dig in when I play and light basses feel soft when I play them. ..... It's all personal. ......

6. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    You sir are the only one in the entire bass universe. I play on average 5 church services, 2 rehearsals plus other gigs per week and at 52 years old a heavy bass would end my playing career in short fashion even with a comfort strap an I'm in pretty good shape physically.

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I do not like heavy basses.
    I've gotten rid of 2, just because it was too much.
    (of course , I've had 3 back surgeries too.)

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    To me, a 10lb. bass is light. Figuring that, as is normal in society, most people on this site are carrying around an extra 10lbs. in weight, I've never figured out what the fuss is.

9. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    My first bass was a T-40. I traded it in for a Gibson Victory Artist, which I played almost exclusively for nearly 10 years.

The Spectors I play now are not a heavy as the Peavey or the Gibson, but do have some heft to them relative to lots of basses I've tried over the years.

I guess it's what I'm used to. So yeah. I prefer heavier to lighter as a rule.

My current GAS is for an Aria Pro II SB1000. I hear they are heavy too! :)

10. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I have a precision that is ridiculously heavy, it plays better than any bass I've ever owned or played so I put up with it.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No, but you're in the small minority and no doubt under forty.

12. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Now i figured i would be he first one here to say hyperbolically that yeah you are the only one in the whole world for the sake of humor but i dont think i would have brought it to the edge of pseudo religion. Bravo sir! :D

Seriously though i certainly dont like heavy basses. It may be worth noting that for many of us, our ability to tolerate heavier basses diminishes with time and age. When i was younger i never noticed but now heavy basses are bad. :scowl:

13. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah but that would then be 20 extra pounds. That's a lot!! :scowl:
    I like my basses in the 8 to 9 lbs. territory.

14. I've always played basses on the heavier end of the spectrum...

These days, i'll play my modded Squire Bronco at practices (though it's REALLY fun live, in certain bands)... but my main 2 basses are my super hefty '95 Ibanez ATK300, and '83 Peavey T-20.

I'm also doing some work as a pit bassist for a musical, and i MUCH preffer the heavy basses. I think they balance better than my lighter basses that have a perpensity to neck dive when resting on my lap.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'm not calling anyone a sissy. I just don't understand the big deal of an extra 3lbs on an instrument that is draped across your shoulder.

Sometimes I wonder whether it's just psychologically ingrained in people that they're in pain holding an 11lb. instrument.

16. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I have a 94 ATK and it's definitely got weight- it's also much more comfortable on my than any of my other and lighter basses (at least so far).

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am in the heavy bass lover's crowd. I can't stand a light sissy bass. I'm a man..I lift heavy things :)

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    can i join your 2 man wolf pack?

seriously though, i like a bass to have some weight to it.

19. CanadianFunk

CanadianFunk

May 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    Is 13 pounds heavy? if so i prefer them too

20. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    41 thank you. As for being the only one it was a figure of speech for the thread and to be humorous. Jeesh getting all serious up in here JK.:p