1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I too old to get started in this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski_rush, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ski_rush

ski_rush

Oct 2, 2016
    I am 43 now. I tried learning the bass 2 years ago. I like it, but I just didn't practice enough and didn't learn more than just a few cords. I had an Ibanez GSR200 that I actually got on Ebay, new for $140 shipped. Unfortunately, I have since sold it.

Over the past 2 years, I was thinking that I want to give it another shot. But, now I'm 43. I jumped on a few forums for beginner bass guitar reviews and see that most folks seem to be teenagers. So, that got me thinking about age :(

Just wondering if there were other folks out there who started later in life too.

The bass guitars I'm considering is getting another Ibanez GSR 200 or the Dean Custom Zone in Electric Green (I just really like the look of it). Thoughts? I'd like to spend as little as possible since I'm just starting out; under $200 (I know the Dean is $229).

Thomas D Nagel, LowCB, Bobo and 14 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I just started learning the Chapman Stick at 60 years old. (Yes, it's mind-blowing, but also way cool.) No such thing as "too old". Rather, "what do I feel like spending what time I have left on?"

3. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

Never too old to learn something new especially music. Jump in and practice as often as you can and you can be a decent player in a year or two. As for those 2 bass's I haven't tried either so I can't give any feed back. How's the used market in your area?

ComicBass, Avigdor, MCF and 6 others like this.
  4. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    dude, great question, hell yeah do it! i'm 49 and feel 25 when playing with my buds. Get a bass and start plucking away, jam to songs you like to get the hang...have fun

5. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Find some people you like playing with and go for it. :)

6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I don't know what other forums you visited, but I can guarantee you there's plenty of people on here started as late, and even much later than you.

Age in itself is not an issue.
    Everything else may be (eg health, family/work responsibilities) but not age.
    Go for it.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Age means nothing, but I wouldn't be buying on looks alone. Go into a music store and try out a few of them. Also consider a few lessons to get you going on the right path.

Jim Carr, Bass1969, Conan85 and 13 others like this.
  8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I started in my early 40s, having had zero experience with any instrument previously. My goal was to get good enough, as quickly as possible, to play in a just-for-fun band with some friends. That was almost 20 years, and I've been having blast ever since. Do it!

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Around these parts, that still qualifies as a "spring chicken." ;)

Don't worry about your age. Instead, concentrate on motivation. It's okay that your first foray into bassdom wasn't a success, but what can you do this time to maintain momentum? It needn't involve goals like joining a band or performing live. It could be learning one new song a week. Or learning a tune or three from a musical genre that you don't ordinarily listen to.

Also, if you don't already have one, consider budgeting for an amplifier of some sort.

10. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Age has nothing to do with it.

11. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Never too old. My dad was a very casual living room guitarist his whole life until his late 50's when he took up the bass. He got some lessons and now is a solid player. Very inspirational reminder to me that it's never too late to learn something new.

As for myself, I'd only ever played bass for over 20 years. A couple of years ago I realized a dream and took up the Pedal Steel Guitar. It's a ridiculously complex instrument and I still stink at it, but I'm having a blast.

As for your bass. Try a bunch and pick the one that makes you feel coolest. I'm serious. Your first bass will likely not be your last and as long as you drop the $40 to have it properly setup, nearly any good bass will play well enough. You want something that whenever you see it across the room, it excites you to practice. Dean makes a good bass so if it's the Dean that excites you then buy it!

Did I mention getting it setup. Do it. Trust Me.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Welcome to Talkbass where every new bass is "the best bass I've ever bought!"

Hey, I started playing bass when I was 55 or 56 and now I'm in one of the best retro-rock rock bands around...even though our rehearsals are somewhat sporadic.
    Started playing on a $150 acoustic bass and bought a $125 solid-body (both Deans) shortly after that. I've since stepped up the quality but let me tell you if others haven't already...you can buy a perfectly gig-worthy bass for $200 or $300 and a nice practice amp for half that.
    There's really no such thing as too late to learn.
    As I mentioned, I'm a Dean fan...
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of Ibanez people here, too.
    One thing to remember...don't dwell on any particular brand name. Just get out there and visit some stores and try out as many basses as possible.
    I never would've picked this one had I not tried out a few and found out how nice the necks felt...and how good they sounded.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Mike Whitfield, timplog, Bobo and 7 others like this.
  13. LXvG

LXvG

Jul 7, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Well, I am 55 and started about three years ago. Don't let age stop you :bassist:

Oh: and my current bass is a Harley Benton 5 string I bought second hand for € 70,-.

14. I would have to ask why you were learning "Chords" on your first time around? Chords are not something that are played with regularity on the bass.

(Oh no, here comes the attack of the "Chorders"!)

oldrocker, Conan85, trickyric and 9 others like this.
  15. I started bass in my fifties. One thing I recommend is buying the best bass you can afford - life is too short to be playing and learning on a crappy instrument and decent gear will inspire you to practice more often (at least it worked for me). Also, I recommend making the commitment of taking regular lessons. It took me a while to find the right teacher - but when I did I progressed much faster. Never too late.

75kva, Jxff, Bobo and 8 others like this.
  16. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    My buddy started at 45, and two years later is a bass beast who just quit his day job. Not a fair expectation, to be sure, but it's never too late to pick up an instrument.

amper, Bobo, Artman and 2 others like this.
  17. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    I was 63 when I started, with no prior musical experience at all. Now I’m 67, gigging in a blues duo and a jazz trio. I just need to get another 40 or 50 years of practice under my belt, but I’m having huge fun along the way.
    Get to it!

LeeV, oldrocker, HughC and 19 others like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Different strokes, of course, but for me the bass has always been an instrument meant for ensemble play, and nothing improved my playing as much or as quickly as playing with other people. And yeah, don't let age hold you back!

Bobo, Artman, instrumentlevel and 2 others like this.
  19. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    I did not start late in life, I started out as a teen. I was already a good player, but I have made tremendous growth in the past few month alone by putting in time every day. I'm 44. You aren't too old to learn, provided your life allows you at least 30 minutes a day to put into practice.

20. I'm 55 and started less than 2 years ago... so glad I did! Played guitar for 30+ years and haven't really touched it since my bass days began. It will become an addiction as you move forward. So, to answer your question... hell no! You're never too old. May I suggest a Squier Affinity series for a beginner bass. Those are some of the best made basses for under $200. I have 2 other "nicer" basses and that Squier may be my #1. I love it. Good luck... now go get yourself a bass (and amp).

Dprimetime, 75kva, amper and 10 others like this.