1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I too old to get started in this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski_rush, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Along with returning to bass after a 30 yr hiatus at age 64, I started learning to play sitar at age 68. You are never too old to learn. Go for it and have a blast!:thumbsup:

2. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow Banned

Aug 6, 2019
    I have been screwing around with music for decades.

Now at 47 I'm ready to be discovered!

never too late to have an enjoyable hobby, if it's not enjoyable, you need a new hobby.

Ibanez is probably the bang for the buck out there.

browndog, Artman, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    43? oh man, you ARE one of those teenagers lol you got a whole lifetime yet of bass playing to enjoy
    for a great cheap bass the Deans are awesome, so are most Peavey, and the LTD B-50 is a stud, or check out my current favorite the $100 Samick Silvertone LB11 for a dynamite P bass. chord on!

B-Mac and Greg Waldon like this.
  4. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Age is not a thing. You can learn anything at your age. Most important thing is setting up a consistent approach to practice. Every day for as much time as you can practicably commit to every day. If it’s 15 minutes that’s better to do every day than an hour a few times a week. Get your self a good “learn to play bass” book and work through it slowly, only moving on when you are good with the current section. Ed Friedland has a good method book. I don’t think online lessons is a good way to start, I think that they’re better as supplemental material. Keep at it for 6-12 months and you’ll see yourself making real progress.

Get a decent starter bass - preferably buy one locally so that you can hold it and see that it feels good to you. But the instrument is secondary to the time you put in.

timplog and Cyborg like this.
  5. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    I tried to learn at 15 but struggled greatly. At 44, I realized that I should have been playing a left handed bass instead of a right handed one. Everything became much easier. Since I was just playing and learning by mysel, I bought Rocksmith to just get the feel of everything and have fun.

I will say. It isn’t a teacher. It cannot correct bad habits and can create some. But it’s fun. It give you content to play and a place to start. It eases you in to songs and then helps you get better at them.

Tuffluck, Tad and Nebula24 like this.
  6. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Started at 52, 10 years ago. A lot of good advice on this thread. Get some lessons, then find some people to play with. You learn a lot that way.

mjbing, Low Note Slinga and jd56hawk like this.
  7. Uncorked

Uncorked Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    Started electric bass at 53, now double bass at 61. Just do it! A teacher would make a huge difference and get you progressing rapidly and help you avoid injuries.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Am I too old to get started in this?
    No.

mjbing and Low Note Slinga like this.
  9. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    I just read this line while listening to Erik Satie, in the late afternoon of an upcoming autumn...too many emotions to handle :thumbsdown:

10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Nope, we all start different things at different times in our lives. Get a bass and start working on it.

mjbing and Low Note Slinga like this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Teenagers make good ad copy, that's all.
    Never too late to start (again). I have a shocking pink dean Zone I bought sight unseen. It is a MUCH better bass than I expected. Rock on.

12. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Hell, you're still a young punk. Get off my lawn!! ;) Now get out there and take on that bass thang!

13. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010

Skyl3r, Stumbo, red_rhino and 2 others like this.
  14. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    No. Can start any age.

I sort of played in high school but then never really played again until I was 44.

It was always bugging me I couldn't really play the bass stored in my closet.

Found out I love short scales while my son was taking guitar lessons by goofing on every bass in store. 2 years later and i play all the time. Cant put my bass down.

Just a bedroom player though. No desire right now to be in a band. Just enjoy learning songs. Cant read music so i use tab software. Once I have it down I try to play from memory.

Busy life so dont have time to really learn if I was wanting to be more professional but I can bang out a few songs now. And enjoy myself with it.

Try all the local basses in your price range and see if one feels the best.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  15. Never too late.

Low Note Slinga likes this.
  16. I am 69 Y/O. Started playing everything at age 15. Clearly I started 15 years too late. Somehow I got caught up and it has all worked out well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  17. Chrisenbacker69

Chrisenbacker69

Nov 24, 2013
    I received my first bass on my 41st birthday and never looked back. I'm 50 now and one of my basses is in my hands every day. I'm not spectacular, but I'm competent and have enough skill to do a cover gig and not completely embarrass myself. Full disclosure: I was a good trombonist through high school so I can read music fluently and had previous musical experience. You're never too old! One great advantage of starting later is that your higher disposable income allows you access to quality gear from the get-go.

18. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I don't disagree – I wouldn't be half the musician I am today if I hadn't performed in numerous bands over the years. Just trying to help the OP by eliminating unnecessary barriers to entry, whether real or perceived. Learning music can be a wonderful adventure in and of itself without performance anxiety.

Low Note Slinga and Bunk McNulty like this.
  19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I started at 45, with no prior musical training of any kind (other than listening to a lot of rock n roll growing up).

I'm now 60 and have played in a regularly gigging band for 10 years, and plan to keep playing until they pry my Jazz from my cold, dead fingers.

Age is nothing. Get going!

20. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    The best thing is you can do it alone. With friends. Hell, my dog is my audience. She sits by the door patiently while I play. Then we go play fetch.

I’m working with a friend re-learning to play guitar now. We’re not “good” but who cares. We have fun.