1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Am I wrong? Give credit where it is due.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TemplesOfSyrinx, May 8, 2018.

1. My original project disintegrated last year over several issues. Least of which was creative differences. I now find that one of the former members is posting songs of his that I not only played on, but songs that I recorded, mixed & mastered in my studio, without giving any credit. I'm not saying that I'm the second coming of George Martin, but in comparison to the crap demos he was releasing prior to being in a project with me, I'm a regular Rick Rubin! I have politely asked that if he wishes to release these songs that I slaved over, simply give me credit for the work I did.

He doesn't even return my calls or texts.

Am I wrong?

Ps- I am enjoying my new original project much more!

Pbassmanca, tekhedd, ICM and 4 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What can you do? No, really.

3. Real men don't need to put anything in writing
    No. I'm not a ball washing attorney.

I'm talking about personal integrity. Have some.

DavetheDude likes this.
  4. Real men don't bitch on the internet either but here we are.

5. Hahaha! Who's bitching? I'm asking if I'm wrong. I take it that you think I am. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    You're not wrong. I would want credit as well, but I also want my former band to remove me from its list of members on the "about" page. :rage:

TjMetalhead, Duder and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Wrong about what? That you want something, or that you see a path to get what you want? The heart wants what it wants. Whaddya proposing?

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This is a bit like the "band is still using my picture," thread... but IMO goes a tad deeper. It goes deeper because our creativity is being put out there, people are getting credit for it, and it would be nice (and the right thing to do) if we got the credit we deserve. Doesn't always work that way though, and as with the photo thing - I've found it's best just to let it go. I believe in karma. I keep putting out the best I can, end of story. And I do my best to do the right thing in every situation. In the future, if I have concerns I can make sure I'm paid properly, or that I do whatever I feel necessary to protect myself.

9. I'm proposing that someone not post music pretending that they did all the work to make it happen.

Ross W. Lovell, leto, FenderB and 5 others like this.
  10. We'll said. I also believe in Karma. Thanks Joe.

11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    That is logical. Agree completely.

12. No. I don't think you're wrong about anything other than how "real men" handle things. You only have a few options and legal recourse is just one of them. If you want to handle this "like a man" have at it.

Aqualung60 and HolmeBass like this.
  13. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    You're wanting that, and you're requesting that. Neither's wrong. But a request doesn't make a compelling proposal unless you can persuade the other party that they will benefit from accepting it.

If your former bandmate shared our values, he might feel better about putting right what we agree is wrong. But he doesn't seem to share those values. So by his lights, you're not right. You're just light on leverage.

14. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Real men love “Frozen.”

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL.... I just checked to see if I could find some of the tunes I played on and got no credit for. I didn't get paid either.

Not the kind of stuff I usually play, but I thought it was cool. It was the first time I ever used my Big Al.

Karma. Look at the amount of views since 2015 :)...

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You are talking about a legal argument/agreement - whether you should be credited for the work you did. That why we have contracts and attorneys.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    wintremute, jnewmark, JaseyT and 5 others like this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Oh, don't worry... it's there, whether you believe in it, or not...

... things will work themselves out.

18. Kind of like Santa Claus.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You mean Carma? Where a car hits you and you're dead? Beliefs or not, you're still dead.

marmadaddy likes this.
  20. No, I'm not talking about a legal agreement. I guess I was hoping that my former bandmate would give credit where it is due, rather than pretending he did all the work to make those recordings happen. It's no big deal. It's a learning experience.

RoadRanger likes this.