AMAZING BASS GUITAR SOLO

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jaime Tortosa, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    As the title says, this a great bass solo. If you don't believe me, go watch it:

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Good for him. Or is that you? Now, lets hear something that can get women’s butts moving. Oh, and just one more thing...Billy Sheehan called...

fcleff likes this.
  3. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    It's me hahaha. I apreciate your comment, and I willl continue uploading.

4. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I have no problem with the concept of a bass solo, but that aint one. That's just wanking out as many notes as you can. That's also why so many people hate the thought of a bass solo. Just my opinion.

5. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    You know man, there’s some chops in there. But that’s it. (Full disclosure: there are some licks in there that I can’t play right off the bat.)
    Now learn some melodies and work on theme and variation. Can you play with a drummer?Also, work on timing and groove. And ask yourself, “Would what I just played bring anything to a song?”
    But you got some chops, for sure.

f

6. Some serious Little Italy bass.

littleitalylittleitalylittleitalylittleitalylittleitalylittleitalylittleitaly!

7. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    I aprecciate all of your comments and advices. For sure, I have to work in finding beatiful melodies, grooves...and I need to keep a good timing. That was my first clip and I consider it as a opener for a more accurate work. I will continue with the hard work and I will bring better work.

twinjet and 5StringBlues like this.
  8. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    I'd say "Great Bass Noodling" would probably be a more fitting tittle than "Amazing Bass Solo".

You do play some quite interesting stuff here and there, but as whole it seems rather randomly pieced together and at times played pretty sloppy too.
    Not bad at all, just not really an amazing bass solo as the tittle promise.
    You do seem to have a fairly good grab on your technique and it seems like you know your scales too, you just need to put some more feeling into your play and work on piecing what you play together in a way so it'll make sense to the listener.
    Speed is not all that is to great bass playing.
    As it is now it comes across as a totally meaningless showcase of random noodling for the sake of noodling.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  9. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    Thnk you for your comment.

twinjet and Karlson541 like this.
  10. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    Sorry for being a bit harsh on you, but your tittle kind of do set the bar of expectations rather high, and I think I managed to be fair and constructive in my critique as well.

No doubt you got skills, what you showed there just doesn't work very well as a bass solo.

Try to work on finding pieces that works well together and try to build up your solo dynamically so that the listener gets a sense of a progressive coherent movement instead of just throwing a bunch of random riffs together all played at maximum speed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Jaime Tortosa likes this.
  11. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I think it's awesome enough! All the rest of those things folks are saying will come with time. I bet you're doing exactly what you should be doing, which is playing in a way that keeps you excited and engaged. Rock out man

12. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    Thank you very much, flojob!, I'm glad you liked it. And, for the rest of the comments, yeah, I'll try to improve, thank to all the constructive critics.

twinjet and flojob like this.
  13. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The really positive thing happening here is how you are taking the criticism. One of the most important things in musical growth is being able to take criticism constructively and positively (as long as the criticism is delivered in a similar way).
    While it’s true that many of the suggestions will come with time and experience, it is also true to play in a way that makes you happy. So keep shredding, have fun, and grow.
    f

14. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I like it. It reminds me of me when I first started playing in the early 1990’s. Although I never seriously pursued a career in music, I am still playing gigging jazz, rock, fusion, funk, Latin gigs to this day.

You clearly have talent, and instrumental technique will never be your problem. What I would have told myself back when I was your age, and what I will tell you now - if you care to listen - is practice with a metronome, and really focus on playing bass as part of the rhythm section. Join a band, play as much as you can. You’ve got some nice skills to show the world.

juancaminos and Jaime Tortosa like this.
  15. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    Thank you very much, that coment means a lot to me. I'll continue with this, of course.

twinjet likes this.
  16. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    If I should mention a part of the solo that seemed to work really well and that I actually liked a lot it is the about 10 seconds from the 0:37 mark to around 0:47, actually it also transforms nicely into the next movement after the 0:47 mark as well but then it quickly begins to loose focus once more and trails off into more random shredding.
    If you could get that part a bit more focused and you can come up with other parts that works well with it and easily transitions into and out of it you might be on to something that could work really well as a foundation to a solo.
    Just a suggestion, I just happen to really like that section as it to me seems more interesting and inspired, as well as a lot less random compared to most of the other parts of your piece, like there actually seems to be a recognizable melodic pattern and a sense of a clear purpose or intention and progression going on.

Anyway, good luck, and as Admiral Akbar already mentioned, if you are not already playing in a band you should try to get one together, cause in my opinion no amount of home practice or studying music theory will compare to the experience you get from playing in a band.
    In my opinion playing in a band is really what will teach you most about playing your instrument and about music in general as such.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    I will take that into consideration. Thanks for the comment.
    I am in a band called Kroom, if you want to ckeck that out, we're on youtube as KroomBand

18. Jaime Tortosa

Jaime Tortosa

Jun 29, 2018
    If you want to see my progress in something that is not a solo, I have just uploaded another video:

19. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Domo arigato Mr. Mr. Legato.

20. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    Nicely executed cover.

I also listened to the song Fight by your band Kroom and you definitely did a great job with the composition which is nicely executed and produced as well, wasn't too thrilled about the vocals and the lyrics though.

The way the vocals are applied to the track seems a bit messy and distracting from the instrumental side at times in my opinion.

But anyway, seems like you are on the right track and got some serious skills both at playing and composing.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021