Amazing Harmonic work

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Introvox, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    this is very cool harmonic work, best I've heard yet...

go to

click on downloads

bottom of page...the 16 meg file is very good quality
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, this was posted in misc. a couple weeks ago.

It does sound neat, but it really doesn't sound like music to me.

More like someone with a lot of skill(and those fancy pick ups) noodling around with the record button turned on.

I would like to hear something more tangible and coherent done with these pick-ups.

at least, that's what I gathered from the last time I visited that site, that these special pups help to enhance the overtone series and create richer and more clear harmonics. But I could be wrong :meh: ?

either way, I'm not really impressed, because all the technique in the world doesn't equate to something that is pleasant to listen to.

but I am intrigued by the pups, if they are all they are cracked up to be, I'd like to try them out sometime, I really like harmonics, and it would be neat to work with something like that.
  3. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    well, im impressed by the pups. not necessarily the playing though. haha, i like how they want to pay some "creative virtuoso" $1000 to play that piece. wouldnt be so hard if it wasnt atonal and free. really, there's no time in that piece, how do you play along with it?? shameless. :rolleyes: :D

good luck to anyone who tries though :cool:

4. Sounds Weird.....indeed

There's 1 man for the job

Adam Nitti...

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    That pup would be very interesting to have.

I wonder if it can have a wood cover over it and still keep the same tone? :meh:

The recording itself was a little lame, but it served it's purpose.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Once again, any technological advancement they may have come up with is buried (to my senses) under lots of weird double-talk and annoying pretension.

Huh? "hence it appears that it is anything but far fetched to assume that .. may work".

First, basing the ear/brain's ability to "extend the spectrum" upwards on its ability to extrapolate the missing fundamental, is BS. Extrapolating the fundamental is very simple: the harmonics are all integer multiples of some base frequency, there is only one frequency that fits this description (the fundamental).

Why would the brain want to extrapolate higher harmonics? What would be the purpose? Where would it stop? Besides, it's easy enough to deomonstrate experimentally that this is not so. Take a simple analog synthesizer, and twist the "overtones" knob back and forth. At the low end (few overtones), do you still perceive the high frequencies? No! It's a totally different sound.

Second, what the #*(& does "it appears that it is anything but far-fetched to assume that something may work" mean?

Wow, what a strong statement. It seems that assuming something may work would not be "far-fetched"! Unfortunately, it would be rather misguided.

Sorry, but you lost me. The author throws out some new, vague theory, that explains why having the lower harmonics present free of phase and intermodulation distortion negates the need to have the higher harmonics present - because your brain will fill in the rest. Again - no. There is simply no evidence that the brain works this way.
  7. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    And my senses as well. The presentation of this stuff is so pretentious that it's almost comical. :p "Certified Q-Tuner recording technician" indeed! :rolleyes:
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, the page has lots of dubious technobabble and hyperbole. There's little actual information of benefit to the regular bass player.

yes, it's nice that they have a very wide frequency response range. But most bass players are going to want to hear how they sound playing regular bass lines, not the stuff on the 'controversial demo' (I must have missed that raging debate).