Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Idol

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andre_gt7, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Hey Everyone...

ANyone watching American Idol...that dude is a really good bass player...any info on him??

2. I was pretty impressed with him the first night, especially on the Stevie Wonder song, "Do I Do," but tonight, I heard him do a fairly inaccurate rendition of "What's Going On," and also "Whipping Post." I gotta give the dude props for being able to play snippets of twelve songs within an hour show. That's gotta be high stress!
    I would just about kill for his tone though. I believe I saw a Sadowsky headstock back there at one point.
    He kind of reminds me of that bassist who used to be on Saturday Night Live when I was a kid. That guy also wore a newsboy hat and played a P-bass, if I remember correctly.
    Let me know if you find out who it is.
    Chris

3. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    yea..i think its a Sadowsky too..man that is GREAT TONE....so far..what u told me is all the info i got

4. I watched it tonite and finally got a good look at him, and recognized him immediately, but couldn't think of his name. Ricky Minor! Guess I was wrong about the SNL thing.
    Cool. What great tone!
    Chris

5. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    The guy is totally slamming.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Now THAT is a cover gig! Yeah, he really is great.

7. Just finished reading the other american idol thread.

I was driving my wife crazy tonight by saying "Did you hear what the bassist just did?" :p

It's funny, but I kept wishing the female singers would be quite so I could hear that bass better. :D

There's an idea. New show on Fox=American Bassist???
    Potential/ :eyebrow:

8. That bassist was wicked on the guys show! That intro as they all walked/danced in had me grooving to the core!!!

What bass does he use? I thought i saw a bongo headstock, But it was blurred, i could be wrong...

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that'd be T-Bone Wolk.

[​IMG]

but yea, me too. as a kid, i thought he was the coolest bass player, even when i was still in my guitarist mode. :cool:

10. Did anyone else notice that on the guys show, the two rockers (Bo and Constantine) were the only two that after performing turned around, pointed to the band, and acknowledged them? I think both of them have been in bands and probably recognize how talented the musicians backing up the idol wannabes are.

I thought it was cool, makes me like those guys more. :cool:

11. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Bo is a great singer. I think Constantine kinda s*cks, but it will be one less whinny choir boy in the competition. I'm glad they are acknowledging the band.