1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American made Peavey's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tgriley62, May 12, 2011.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Can someone give me some help on Americian made Peavey's. I would like to find one & would like to know the differances in the Dyna, Foundation, Patriot & the T series. Which are active/passive? Which are, in lack of a better term, high end models. Thanks

2. A USA made Cirrus can compete w high end model like Ken Smith Sadowsky etc... Peavey hit a homer run w this series. Most if not all USA made Peaveys are great for what they do. A Quad is another high end PV. Both of these basses are active. both of these will run approx $1K or better

Dyna series are active and very good basses priced at around $500
    Not sure of the T series.
    A patriot is a PBass.

If you want a PBass from Peavey get a USA made Fury priced from around $200 - $400

3. This is a good start:

U.S. Peavey Club

Which is currently on part 3. Lots of good info here.

4. thanks EM

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

We'd love to help you...

Sincerely read the back posts in the club... then describe what you're looking for.

Tim

PS.. I'm cleaning out my warehouse.. if you PM me I may have a nugget to toss you in there (please take this off line as the mods don't like us cluttering up the threads)

6. I can't help you much with any of those models aside from the Foundation. Back in October I picked up a fretless '89 Foundation for 120 (absolute steal) and the Foundations are notorious for their Super Ferrite pickups in most 80s models and some 90s models, which are passive pickups. When they first came out, they were designed as beginner level basses handcrafted in the USA, and Im sure I dont have to to tell you that that's unusual for beginner level basses :p After being discontinued they are somewhat of a cult favourite on TB and I love mine, if it wasn't a fretless it'd be my go to bass for gigs! You can find them along with a lot of those models semi-frequently in the classifieds and Id highly recommend picking one up for the right price!

7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Foundations were marketed as a gigger's bass - not an entry level... the Patriot was the student bass in the line.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Dyna - active/passive dual super-ferrite pickups.
    Foundation - passive dual super ferrite pickups.
    Patriot - passive single super-ferrite pickup.
    T-20 - passive single super-ferrite pickup

The T-40 (dual pickup) and T-45 (single pickup) are animals unto themselves. The passive electronics are wired to change the pickups from humbuckers to single coils by rotating the tone knobs. It also has a phase switch.

Hovering around $350, the T-40 is the highest priced of this lot. The others all go for lower prices. Some significantly lower.

9. My bad :bag: either way they're a steal for the price!

10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Not in the OP's list, but my US made, 1st gen TL-Five will be arriving on Friday!! :)

11. I had two USA Peavey Foundation S model basses, (fretted and fretless) it was a P/J configuration that came with Schaller pickups and matching headstock. They were great basses, I sold them when I switched to 5 string.

12. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    Most of the ones you mentioned are passive. I would like to add the Peavey Fury and the Peavey Forum to the list. Good underrated basses. The Forum is basically the Fury with a PJ configuration. They neck dive a bit but they sound very nice (especially with Basslines pickups) and they play fast.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If you're going to add basses to this list, then I'd throw in the TL-5 and the Sarzo signature basses. Both are superb, boutique quality basses.

Other Peavey basses that are worth going out of your way to own would be:

Palaedium
    Unity-series Dyna bass
    Axcelerator

14. OldGreg

OldGreg

Apr 23, 2011
    Tucson,AZ
    I have a unity series dyna bass and I freaking love it. For me, by far the most comfortable neck I've ever played on.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Those basses are incredible bargains. Every time I see something like this, I want to buy every on I see.

16. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Peavey's high-end models are:

B Quad (4 and 5)
    Cirrus (4, 5, and 6)
    Millennium (4 and 5)

I have owned everything in the above list except a Cirrus 4. Plus, I have or have owned G-Bass, G-V, and a TL-Five.

Everything I have listed is active. I have not owned a passive Peavey.

Those top 3 models I listed are, in my opinion, the best basses Peavey makes/has made. To me, they are all equally good, but different. Different in sound. Different in feel. That's why I own one of each. :D

If I wanted to add a passive Peavey to my collection, I would get a Foundation S with the passive P/J setup. I played one once and it was killer! If I didn't already have 2 P basses and 2 Js, I would probably be shopping for a nice Foundation S with matching headstock right now.

17. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    You will not go wrong on any of them.
    They are fine basses.

Check the threads US Peavey, Cirrus, T-40
    There are a number of other good basses Peavey made.

You have found the right place.

18. Can't go wrong with the Foundation, I love 'em all. I started with the Foundation S Active 20 yrs ago, it's slim neck was fantastic for a beginner and the sound still goes over great today when I break it out. The biggest decision to make regarding them is either a pre or post 1990 model (I think that's the year they switched pickups). The pre '90s versions had super ferrite pickups (except for the Foundation S models which had p/j configurations in active and passive versions) and post '90s they put soap bar looking pickups on them. Try 'em all out wherever you can, they're alot of fun!

19. bluesmavin

bluesmavin

Feb 12, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I am going to put a Super Ferrite in a Squier 50s classic vibe P bass.