Amp and two cabs or combo amp and extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mbell75, Apr 17, 2019.

1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Ok, so I have a Rumble 500c which is a 2x10 and just found a used 1x15 Rumble extension cab for it. The combo was $599 new and the cab was $199 used, so $800 total. The local GC just got in a used Rumble 500 head and it’s $399. I could keep the 1x15 and pick up a new 2x10 cab for $399 or used for $349. So it would be another $100 or so if I went with the head and cabs vs the combo and cab. Any benefits to one setup vs the other?

Greyvagabond likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you have two cabs and a head, you can leave one cab where you rehearse, and one where you practice. This way you only have to schlep around your bass and head. Makes life much easier. You also aren't married to the combo if you want different cabs. IMO it's worth the extra $$$.

Aqualung60, Frank77, Kijuer and 8 others like this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Just run a pair of matching 15s
    Sensitivity is higher than the 2x10

I prefer heads of course.

Plenty used Ampeg SVT15E
    I'd rather run a pair of those. Uses higher quality cast frame Eminence Speaker.

I can't comment on the rumble drivers. But in recent posts someone actually got TS parameters on the cheap stamped rumble speakers. Not very special. I'd definitely rather run cast frame Eminence. CB158/Delta Pro 15/ or Kappa Pro 15

4. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Ask the fine folk at the Rumble Club,
    Fender Rumble Club
    They'll discuss the pros and cons of each setup for a few days and then forget who asked lol.

5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Don’t like the sound of two 15s or two 2x10s and I prefer the Rumble cabs to the Ampeg cabs but thanks

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi mbell75 :)

So maybe 2 212s will do the trick! :roflmao:

Sorry! :sorry: Just kidding!

I always prefer head + cab combinations over combos. (flexibility rules!)

But that' s just me.

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Stumbo likes this.
  7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The answer will depend entirely on your own situation. As @buldog5151bass rightly mentions, two cabs and a head will allow you to keep cabs in different places and travel between them carrying just the head. But the head/cab solution is both more expensive and heavier. Whether you get the 500c/115 or the 500/210/115 they will both sound the same, so it’s all down to your wallet, and what will work for you logistically. You’re going to sound awesome in any case. :)

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    FYI, all Rumbles from the 200 and up uses Eminence drivers.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The weight difference is minimal, if any, since most combos are just the class D hear bolted into the cab, and any difference is more than mitigated by the fact that except for gigs, you won't be carrying the cabs. As I said, imo the slight cost increase (the main question in the OP) is worth it. But as stated above, there is little if any tone difference.

mbell75 likes this.
  10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Depends what you call minimal. The weight of the 500 combo is about 36 lbs, and the 210 cab alone is 39 lbs. Add 5 lbs or so for the amp, and the difference is appreciable, IMHO.

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I actually use the Rumble 500 Combo with the Rumble 2x10 extension cabinet. Awesome sounding rig! I say 75% of my gigs just the single combo is more then enough. I break out the extension cabinet for the bigger stages/venues.

I've used my Genz-Benz and GK Fusion heads with the just the Rumble extension cabinet and sounded great. But for the most part it's just more to set up. Personally I wouldn't mix cabinets unless you are running a true bi-amp system like on the old GB 800RB head. With running the two 2x10 cabinets I get a consistent sound from top to bottom with plenty, and i mean plenty of punch and bottom end. rumble.jpeg

12. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    In the sense of transport and load in and out a combo would be one piece and you could have another piece in an extension cab. All seperate you'd have three pieces to load in just amp and cabs. However you have flexability in what you need and not for gigs in both setups. Your call really.

TheDayMan and mbell75 like this.
  13. Larry Baldock

Larry Baldock

Feb 5, 2015
    It's not just a question of flexibility, if something goes wrong with the combo, the head and cab are both out of action. For me, individual parts are heavier, but essential, if and when things go wrong.

kentiki likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    X
    Keep everything AND Buy the Rumble head. :thumbsup:

Lowtonejoe, pcake and mbell75 like this.
  15. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't know a combo that is made for + cab, so anyway amp + 2 cabs is better and always more powerfull.

Munjibunga likes this.
  16. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. Just to cover a few things....

Not doing any rehearsing with a band right now, we are in the writing stages and when the time comes to rehearse, it will be at a public place I couldn't leave any equipment anyways. So leaving one cab somewhere is not an option, it all stays at my house. Ive seen lots of people who mix the Rumble combos and cabs speaker sizes and Ive personally never heard of any problems with someone using a 2x10 and 1x15 together in the Rumble line. There are a couple users here who do just that. I might be slightly concerned if I were mixing an Ampeg or other manufacturers 1x15 cab in with my Ruble 2x10 combo but not within the same series as I believe the drivers are the same. If I do run into issues, I can sell the 1x15 and pick up a 2x10 cab easily.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    S-Bigbottom likes this.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No combos for me unless it's staying at a rehearsal spot. Head+2 cabs is my suggestion.

Rob Nelson and mbell75 like this.
  18. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I have a markbass combo and extension cab and really like that type of setup for some reason. Just slightly simpler when playing out—one less thing in a bag, one less speaker cable to forget, one tiny job removed from setup process. But I am a person who is both lazy and disorganized.

mbell75 likes this.
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just stick with what you have for now.

I've used both head + cabs and combo + extension rigs over the years. I have no real preference. It'a all about the actual amp...the heads I own were never offered in combo form and the combos were never offered in head form. That is not the case with your Rumble.

You can always use the extension cab with a head if needed, like the combo needs a repair.

mbell75 likes this.
  20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    If you didnt already have the combo id go for head and cabs but since you already have the combo and like it, seems like adding a cab is an easier path to happiness

Keger Jupit, TheDayMan and Kijuer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021