1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Blown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcgoogles101, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Mcgoogles101

Mcgoogles101

Sep 25, 2008
    Hi I'm a bit new to this but I really need some help.

I've had a behringer combo ultabass 180 amp for about 2 and half years now and it's plays great and supports the volume with me and my drummer. In the past month though it began to make popping sounds and would cut out briefly and the circle in the speaker (not sure whats it's called) would pop forward and back. About three days ago I had the master cranked to 10 and the gain about a fourth and the popping noise would cut out the bass for a long period of time and come back. I bring it home today and try to turn it on and get nothing. The Red Leds for the EQ light up but no sound on any input on the amp at all, no matter what settings. I've been using passive pickups on a Fender Jazz Bass.

Any Hope for this amp?

Thanks,
    Mcgoogles101

2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Probably not much hope. To have the amp repaired would probably cost close to the price of buying a new one.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You should assume the amp is bad and not use it. Otherwise you risk it damaging a speaker.

Try another amp with your cabinet to be sure the speakers are OK.

4. Hi, Mcgoogles101.

If the problem is indeed the amp, You just waited a bit too long. The sounds You describe were possibly power supply related and malfunctioning amp is easier to diagnose and repair than a dead one IME.

Unless You have a friend who will diagnose and/or repair it for peanuts (and beer ;)), that amp is a lost cause IMHO.

Behringer does have a 3 year warranty though?

Regards
    Sam