Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp/Cab Distortion Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, May 31, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Lately I have been having a problem with my amp/cab, I was hoping you guys could help.

When I turn it on (MAG300) my cab (SWR 1x15) distorts like crazy, making a loud low freq noise with no tone. I have checked to make sure the cables are all in correctly and they always seem to be. Usually after I turn the amp on and off a few times, and pull out/in all the cables the problem goes away and everything works fine after that. This happens even if I turn the Output all the way down- Output seems to have nothing to do with the volume of the Noise sound. I have been extremely careful with both these pieces of equipment since I got them.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    This is similar to a problem I experienced with my Alembic preamp/Stewart/Acme setup. Turns out that sometimes the contacts in the output jacks need to be recycled a few times to clean the surface and improve conductivity.

Lonnybass