1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp for playing URB in a Big Band

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by John T., Jun 3, 2011.

1. John T.

John T.

Jun 2, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    I searched around the forum to see if I could get an answer to this question but found nothing specifically geared to Big Bands and URB.

I have some smaller amps that work great with smaller combos (a Polytone with a 15' speaker and an AI Contra). However, I need something with more power/loudness without feeding back for playing with a Big Band. I also want something lightweight as I can't carry around a huge/heavy rig anymore. My budget is fairly tight too -- I have less than $1,000 to spend. I was looking at the GK MB 212 but would anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!!

2. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    The GK MB112 is used in big bands all the time here in NY, notably the Mingus Big Band (Boris Kozlov) and the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra (David Wong).

3. It seems to me that what you already have is more than enough.

4. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    +1
    Don't know why I didn't think of that before. What you have is a solid rig that can absolutely power through a big band.

5. John T.

John T.

Jun 2, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    I've play my smaller amps with the Big Bands for rehearsals and smaller venues and you would think they would be enough to cut through. Unfortunately, these Big Bands are very LOUD and in larger venues my sound gets lost under the horns and drums (when there is a large venue with their own house system I always go through their sound board -- which is usually great!). I guess I feel like I need something with a little more power to help me cut through these Big Bands in larger venues.

6. Can you hook up your 15" speaker to your AI Contra and use it as an extension cabinet?

7. John T.

John T.

Jun 2, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    I didn't really think of hooking the Polytone to the Contra. I'm going to try that out and see how that works with the Big Band this week. Thanks for the tip! I'll report back with the results!

8. John T.

John T.

Jun 2, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Well, I decided I didn't want to carry around my two other amps and connect them together so I purchased a GK MB212 combo amp which I got a pretty good deal on. So far, I really love the sound I get from my URB with it. I've played about 4 gigs with it which have all gone well. I don't need to use a pre-amp (which I used with my polytone) and I really like the EQ on it. As I mentioned before, I play in a 18 piece big band and it seems to cut through great!! I've also had good comments from the other band members. Can't believe how lightweight it is too! Have another gig tonight with it and it has made me even more excited to play! I'm really diggin' this amp!!