1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tamey75, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Tamey75

Tamey75

Sep 4, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I bought a 200 watt 2X10 bass cab that runs at 8ohms what is the perfect head to get maximum output????

2. More than likely a 100 watt head. That is a pretty weak cab for performing.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, the general rule of thumb is to that the cab should be capable of handling twice the RMS output of the amp. So a 100W amp pairs well with a 200W cab. The problems is, what's the true rating of the amp and cab. Most product specs are elaborated upon by marketing people.

4. A Peavey combo :bag:

5. Whew, for a minute I thought he was going to ask what was the perfect head for metal.

6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Yo Tamey....What Kind/Brand of Cabinet did you Buy? New or Used? How Much Can You afford to Spend? And the Biggie! How Long Will it be Before You see Yourself Adding a Second Cabinet to Your Rig?

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Ignore the carping. My advice is to get the highest quality and highest output head you can. In the future, you can add another matching cabinet, or an entirely different cabinet. :cool:

I would congratulate you on not having fallen into the "combo trap." You have the option of getting a head that can be used with a superior cabinet in the future. Combo slaves will rage and be jealous—and deride your speakers, but you are free of them whenever you want to be. :eyebrow:

What type/brand of 210 cabinet have you got? :D

8. Too true, my Peavey combo suggestion was somewhat tongue in cheek but for a restricted budget might be the best way to carry forward. It would depend on how well the two cabs played together.

The vintage ones are 4ohm going down to 2ohm with a 4ohm extension. I'm pretty sure some of the more modern ones are 8ohm with an 8ohm extension, much better. GK and Trace are all 8+8, worth scanning CL too. Take your cab along and see how it sounds with it standing vertical on top and a 20ft guitar lead.

Mb200 is a nifty package, puts out about 160w into 8ohm, but if you actually have a budget probably starting over is a better plan.

If your 200w cab is rated oldschool then you could get a more powerful amp and go easy for the meantime as suggested.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Get something like a 200w head that runs 200w at 4ohms and 100w or so at 8ohms. Then add another of the same cab, vertically stack them, to get the full 200w and good dispersion.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Beat me to it! Buy used and you probably will be able to snag something more than what you need at the moment. This will give you the latitude to upgrade without...you guessed it...buying a new head.

Riis

11. My mb200 is a 200w head, it hasn't got quite enough "pick your empirical measure" oomph, snot, balls, etc, unlike my 250w oldschool Trace or 180w Mesa tubes. That's another discussion, just be aware a 200w rating doesn't always mean the same as the next one.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I will very rarely suggest a specific brand/model/etc, without knowing more info (found in your profile), but you appear to be a big person, who happens to fight fires (thank you for that!!) .. with that said, I always take along a MB200 in my bag (same as Downunder mentioned), and for all intent and purposes, that is one heck of a head to have in your bag to fall back on, and a great practice head .. it has got me through more than one time ... it did this morning at church in fact, as the SWR combo they supply crapped out, and I hooked my MB200 to the speaker in it ... about 200 people in attendance, and it covered it with no PA support through the 115 ... best of all, these can be found from $165 to $200 used/shipped right here, and they are like money in the bank ... they will be worth that their entire existence as long as it is working ... JMHO