1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp interaction with other electricals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRAHAM SG1, Oct 30, 2010.

1. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I just had a bit of a scare with my GK MB210, I was playing it whilst my daughter was using a sewing machine off the same electrical socket point, there was a loud crackling noise and buzz coming out of the amp intermittently, I was expecting the impending death of my amp then realised it was happening every time she pressed the sewing machine pedal !
    At last weeks gig I had some strange intermittent cricket/grasshopper like chirping noises coming out of the amp (there were no grasshoppers LOL) but put it down to having a lot of other equipment near by, ie, PA system, foldback monitor system etc .
    This leads me to my question, is it right that other electrical equipment can interact with my bass amp and if so what can I do to stop it, if its not right then what do I need to do, is the amp faulty/not suppressed ??
    I did read that digital/class D amps switch on and off many times a minute so is it possible that other current draws on the same plug socket can cause this ?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A lot of current draw or perhaps something wasn't grounded or shielded? I haven't had my amps do that but they have picked up radio stations before and other communications when playing at an airforce base. Sometimes a tv will get fuzzy while you're running a vacuum cleaner too. Sometimes flourescent or neon lights will cause a buzz as well. Your amp may likely be ok, unless there was enough static with enough power behind it to take out a tweeter or something.

3. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Cheers Will .
    When playing a gig on guitar a few years back, I used a wireless set up and we played a gig at a local club behind the railway station, we were into the first song when the station master came rushing in and started shouting at me, he said the people on the platform were singing `born to wild` along with the station announcements LOL

4. You could try a power bar that includes a line filter. That might help you depending on how the amp is picking up the interference.

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    What kind of pickups does your bass have?

Single coils??

Is it properly shielded?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Cheap electric motors can create interference that nothing will stop. Just don't hire on to do a gig at a sewing center and you'll be OK.

7. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I use a Gibson SG bass so humbuckers, I wonder if the interference could be the cooling fans on my Yamaha PA amp or my Wharfdale EVP monitor system ?

Played one of those once and got a stitch, gave me the needle :D

8. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    If i use the tv remote by my pickups I can hear a funny wheep sound from my amp. Lots of ways to get interference from your gear lol. ;)

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Brushless induction motors don't make noise. That's why they're used for amps and computers.