1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp newbie question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MoFoTWeeTeR, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Jan 1, 2013
    I have always played combo amps/cabs and never had learned anything about amp headers and cabs. Recently i purchased two "steals" an "Acoustic 600h" amp head for $225, and a "Hartke 4xl- 4x10" cab for $200. I also own a "SWR workingmans 2x10" cab. Both cabs are 8ohms.

What is the proper way to connect all of the three?
    If so does the 400 watt Hartke and 200 watt SWR act as 600 watts together?
    Buy just using the Acoustic 600h with the Hartke 4xl alone, Am I going to damage the speaker?

Here are some pictures of the inputs and outputs of all three units. i could not figure out how to upload them so i make a quick webpage i could post em on.

http://newamprig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14593141

thanks everyone. i appreciate it for your help.

2. No.

Your cabs will both get the same amount of power, so they will be confined to the limitations of the 210. So about 400 watts total power. That is ok, as your amp only produces ~350 watts at 4 Ohms. You can still hurt your speakers if you do something dumb, just listen to them. If they sound like they will blow up, they will.

As far as how to connect them. Use one 1/4 SPEAKER CABLE to each cab.

3. /\
    This

Make sure to be listening to the 2X10 for signs of speaker distress as the individual speakers in your 2X10 will be getting twice the power of the speakers in your 4X10.

And just to remind again - USE SPEAKER CABLES - not instrument cables.

4. MoFoTWeeTeR

MoFoTWeeTeR

Jan 1, 2013
    Of course only using "speaker" cables. What i meant to say was the proper way to piggy back from speaker to speaker, rather than two cables outputting from the seperate output lines on amp head.

I thought piggy backing a pair 8ohm speakers make them run at 4 ohm. But pairing two different watt speakers i was not sure of.

I was curious if i could find use for the 2x10 cab. Before connecting it to the amp and possibly damaging it i figured id ask on this forum. Thanks for the answers guys, looks like ill be selling or trading it for somthing.

So my amp runs at 350 watts when only connected to the 4x10 (400 watt 8 ohm) cab CL400Peavey?