Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Offer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 14, 2006.

1. well a bassist from a different band under the same management has offered to sell me his rig for a rather appealing price (well the manager the amp which he'll give to me just garnish my band earnings to pay for the amp) and im just having a hard time understanding something...its a peavey mark III and a JBL 4x10....i already have a Peavey Mark III and a Peavey 410TX (oooo..what a stack it'll make)...but whats confusing me is that he says the mark 3 is 400w?....mines only 150w @ 4 ohm?...am i missing something? did peavey change specs from year to year or something?

2. I'm pretty sure that the peavey mark heads are all similar in output, even between different series'. Maybe the 400 watts is the power used not the output? My mark vi uses / draws up to 800w, but outputs 400.

3. mark 3 - 150w
    mark 4 - 230w-ish
    mark 7 - 600w....

they're ones ive seen

4. mark 6 - 400w
    mark 8 - 600w

are also models. I think it's pretty safe to say any mark III is ~150w

5. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I wouldn't bother, same rig for the most part....

save your $$ for a nice Amp

6. i dunno...a JBL and peavey quaddie paired with either the new mark 3 or my behringer head

7. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    The 400 Watts is probably the output at 2 Ohms. For example, my Mark XI XP Series is 250 W at 4 Ohms, and 400 Watts at 2 Ohms load.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'm just going by memory, but I thought the Mark III heads were 300watts@ 2 ohms, 210@ 4 ohms, and 150watts@ 8 ohms - something like that... I had one for awhile - it had great tone, and was stone reliable - but I traded it in on a Mark VI, then traded that in on a Mark VIII - because I had the opportunity to get something much newer, more powerful, and with a 2 year warranty - for the Mark III and $135 out of pocket...

Anyways, I wouldn't do that deal unless the "garnish" was for about $200 to $250 in gig money - anything more than that isn't a good deal, IMO...

- georgestrings

9. well atm, with all agent, management and p.a hire fee's i get a minimum of $100 a gig, but i also work full time and teach, so its no biggie...he's gonna take something like $50 a gig...

my mark 3, (chs300 series).....is 150w @4ohm....the price he wants for the head and cab is $900...i wouldnt mind it just for the cab....i wanna get a SWR head later on

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    whats the history on the jbl410? ive never seen one before.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'm not sure if this is a US vs Aussie currency thing, but that price sounds way high to me - put into proper context, a Mark III head in decent shape can be had for $100US or so in my area... I can't put a price on the JBL 410 cab, but Peavey 410TXs are going for around $200 to $250 in my area - again, that's in US dollars... Only you can decide if the deal's something you can live with - I hope it works out for you...

- georgestrings

12. well i paid $350 for my peavey mark 3, and $500 for my 410tx and $400 for my behringer bx4500

13. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    If you mean $900 US dollars that is around 3 times the worth of the 2 pieces you speak of.

14. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Wait a minute, is the manager selling the other bassist's rig to you? How does the other bassist feel about having his rig sold? Or, more succinctly, is the manager making money off the sale of the rig? That seems wrong. But, hey, I don't have the facts... it does sound a bit convulted, though.

15. the other bassist is moving to the usa on monday, so he needs to sell his gear, so the manager is buying since i dont have the cash and im slowly paying him back