1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

amp + rack tuner? worth it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bchamorro, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I just got a Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 rack mountable head and I wondering if I should get a rack tuner to go with it?

I already have a Boss TU2 pedal tuner

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    maybe find one used?

3. Depends. If pedal board real estate is more valuable, a rack tuner may be better for you.

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Rack tuners are good investments, IMHO. It's a tuner you can use on-the-fly, and you already have it plugged in 24/7, no need to carry around a pedal or something.

5. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    The rack tuner is nice - easier to see. Especially if you have a tall cab. (Or at least a 4x10)

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    +1 on pedal tuner.

the pedal tuner is less finicky as far as fine tuning. i found that my korg dtr1000 took too long to be just right where as my tu-2 was perfect.

plus, if you put your di in line after the tuner you can mute all while tuning! just sit the tuner ontop of your rig.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If the Tu-2 tunes more easily, to me that just means its less accurate. I have used both of those tuners (tu2, dtr1000) and find the korg to be more accurate.

I use a rack tuner now and find it to be quite convenient. Plus they look cool.

8. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    whats the difference between the dtr 1000 and dtr 2000?

9. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Ever have problems with reading the LED's of the pedal tuners when you're out doors? For me, this is where the rack mount tuners really shine allowing me to tune without issue while my guitarist fights the sun while he's hunched over trying to tune his guitar! :)

10. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    i'm going to order one right now.
    I just want to know if the korg dtr 2000 is worth it over the 1000

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 1000 will be fine.

12. I like having the rack tuner for my bass rig. I have a Korg DTR-2:

normal_rackface.

One less thing to set up.

I used to use a TU-12 in line because I didn't like using the TU-2 pedal.

With my guitar rig, the head isn't racked, and I have a couple of pedals. I also have to check tuning more often- it makes more sense having the tuner pedal for guitar.

13. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Nice. What's with all the stickers and numbers and stuff?

Here's my rack with a korg tuner:

CIMG0503.

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    That surely depends on the angle of the light --- a pedal tuner is more mobile than a rack one and if the sun angle glares at your rack you'd have the same problem but less mobility.

15. Thanks!

The numbers are EQ settings for the semi-parametrics- in clock time.

The sticker on the tuner was from a friend's daughter- it's puffy bird sticker. I don't rightly remember the smiley stickers' purpose... there actually was a reason. :(

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Rack tuners are absolutely worth it IMO. I wouldn't run without one.

BTW, tuners are not an Amps topic so I have moved this thread to Misc.

17. raytsmith

raytsmith

Nov 21, 2007
    Central Ky
    Rack tuners are great. One less thing to set up and tear down. They are always there - you don't have to worry about leaving them at home, loosing them, or wonder if the battery is going to hold up through the night.

Its easy for guitar players to plug into your rack tuner too, and everybody is then tuned the same. Its surprising how much difference there is in some portable tuners.