1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Recommendation for my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michinho, Oct 30, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Looking for some help on my next amp purchase.

Looking for something to replace my Ashdown MAG 2x10 300 watt.

Really want something that is "clear" "punchy" and does not get muddy like the Ashdown does when you turn it up and really push it. Would also like something that plays well with effects. I have an overdrive pedal that runs on a real tube, so ideally something that would have a really nice clear clean tone but let me get "dirty" or "gritty" with the pedal engaged, but not making the sound "muddy". Other effects include Delay, reverb and fuzz.

Ideally would like something for small to medium sized venues, and if it is a combo, something that could ideally be used with an extension cab.

Also the more LIGHTWEIGHT the head,cabs or combo is the better.

My main bass is my Gibson Thunderbird but I also play Fender Jazz and Precision basses.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    A Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 or 6.2 would work well as a head. Pair it with a nice neo 4x10 and you are set.

Oh - and - nice start to the season. Although it will be nice when Spurs start to play like an integrated team.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What kind of music do you play?
    What is your budget?

4. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    +1 to GB Shuttle + Neo 210 - Shuttles are nicely priced and lots of folks love 'em.
    The 6.0 is <$500 new. Easily expandable.

...or Markbass CMD102P combo (8 Ohm 2x10 - 300W/500W) - weighs only 44 lbs and is clear and amazingly loud and articulate. 8 Ohm extension cabs are no problem. Only drawback that I see is that they (Markbass) are not inexpensive. Combo is $1150 new and ~$750 used. Matching 210 is $700 new and nearly impossible to find used.

These are the only 2 lightweight systems that I have any experience with.
    Good luck.

5. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Haha cheers, are you a Spurs fan then? I hope they start playing better too! :(

Thanks for the reccomendation as well

6. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    I play Rock/Alt Rock/Indie Rock

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Strong recommendation here for a TH500 head and Berg CN 112 - light, loud, punchy and a great warm yet clear tone. I'm running, essentially, a 5 string P through the Aguilar and 2 Bergs and it is hands down the best tone I've gotten from any setup.

8. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I wasn't going to suggest anything until you said Rock.

Check out GK MBFusion amps. Test one out. You might like it.

9. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Am I right in thinking that 1x15 cabs are more boomy and muddy than say a 2x10 or 4x10 or even a 2x12? sorry if I have that wrong. I'm good with effects and basses but I am not very good with amps just yet.

10. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Also would 1x12 be enough to amplify my sound in a small/medium sized venue with just the amp. Would it be able to compete with the drummer as well? live and in practice.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I too would recommend GK of some sort. Whether it's a tiny MB series head or an RB series head I think it would be great for what you want. Grab a 2X12 cab and go to town

Nope. Speaker size doesn't dictate tone.

Maybe, but probably not. I was able to use a 1X12 for band practice but it was just enough to be heard. It really depends on the band and how loud you want to be.