1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DavyM, Aug 18, 2012.

1. DavyM

DavyM

Aug 16, 2012
    Hey I really need help deciding on a new amp as I have finally decided to upgrade. I was looking at Ampeg but I am open to suggestion. I was intending to acquire an all-tube head as opposed to something that has a tube preamp and then a MOSFET or class D power amp. My main bass is a Warwick Streamer LX.

I'm also looking at a new cabinet as well, preferring a 4x10 and 1x15 over an 8x10, but this is primarily based on ease of transport...

Also my budget is probably around $3,000-$3,500 but I would go more if it was worth it...

2. With that much budget you can buy almost any brand. So i'm going to be a killjoy and say

1.What exactly is it for?
    2.What power you need?
    3.Go out and try everything in the shop

Everyone will say a different amp because everyone loves different things. I would suggest looking at all of the brands your favourite bassists use (ie you like their sound!) and start there. Write down all the models you would be willing to try and go try them all. Thats my advice

3. If you want all valve, the only choice IMO is an Orange rig, though i'm sure other people will come out with different things.

Liam

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

+1. Your budget gives you a LOT of choice.

My only comment (and you'll probably hear this from others as well) is on cabs:

If you're going to mix 10's and 15's in a stack, a 115/210 combo is usually the logical fit. The balance between the two cabs is better, and the stress on the woofers is more evenly distributed.

In a 410/115 stack, the 410 generally gets held back, because the 115 farts out so much earlier. Meanwhile, the 115 doesn't contribute much to the sound (other than getting the 410 up where you can hear it better) because it has so much less cone area.

If you're thinking about a modular setup for large and small gigs, you'd probably be better off with an 810/115 combo and only use one cab or the other, rather than stacking them. Or go with any of the obvious matched-cab choices: 410/410, 212/212, high-power 115/115 (ie; fEarful).

And then there's the other single-cab solutions- a really good 610, or a high-power compact 215 like the Barefaced, or a fEarful 1515/66.

5. If I had a +3k budget here is what I would put together.

fEARless 215 - $1700
    Jule Amp Monique - $1100
    Peavey IPR 3000 - ~$400

Total $3200 of rig that can cover any stage.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Ampeg SVT and an 810 or two 410's is you'd prefer to have smaller cabs.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Get 2 4x10s instead of mixing cabs ( search mixing cabs here).

If I had that budget I would definitely be looking at an American made Ampeg.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    In that price range, and wanting an all-tube head, I'd look at three (in no particular order): Ampeg SVT-CL and 2x410he; Ashdown DP-200h and 1xCL-410h (better for smaller venues); Fender Super Bassman and Bassman 610neo (most versatile).

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Ohhh! Yeah, the new Fender Bassman's are looking pretty good. I'd gladly rock either the Super Bassman or the 100T.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If you're looking at an Ampeg SVT410HLF for easy transport, I would rethink your options. I've owned both the 410 and 610, and found the 410 both bulky and awkward to move. The 610 however was only about 10 pounds heavier, but much easier to roll around because of the the height difference.

I would have to think that the 810 would be a similar experience.

11. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    +1

You get the all tube sound and beauty from Monique coupled with endless power potential from a power-amp and monstrous cab.

12. DavyM

DavyM

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks guys keep it coming I'm taking it all on board!

Also, I was told today whilst in a music shop that due to the heavy bass frequencies and vibrations produced when playing, through a tube head, can cause the tubes to fail. Is this really an issue? My point is, is this something that is likely to happen often, or at all?

13. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I work in a music store.. And unless they are an active member of talkbass.. Never listen to the sales person at a music store unless they confirm what the collective at talkbass tell you.

14. Of if you want to stay all tube, I would check out a Peavey classic 400 and pair it with a greeboy Dually.

15. SVT-CL w/SVT410HLF

16. ... but that cab doesnt have 15's....

:bag:

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Those new 300 watt Bassman's are awful tempting too.

18. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    I'd say go for a used Fender Pro 300 and the Neo 6x10 Bassman cab and pick up a new bass to mess with. Way more versatile tone than an SVT, not that they are bad either, but this will get you more choice. Heck, for your budget you could grab a Berg NV 610 and still have change left over.