1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp to Pair w/610HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thgr8manzyuk, Oct 26, 2009.

1. thgr8manzyuk

thgr8manzyuk

Oct 24, 2009
    sacramento
    hey guys i just stole a ampeg svt 610hlf for $400 and am now looking for an amp that would best suit it. if youve played through this cab with different amps, i would love to hear what you have to say!

2. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I've played an Ampeg SVT4-Pro bridged through mine as well as a GK 1001RBII. I have recently decided to lose a lot of weight and now use a Crown XTI 1000 bridged along with a Sansamp RBI.

It was my experience that the GK produced higher SPL's. Both the Ampeg and GK heads were plenty loud though. They both could get louder than you would ever need. The Crown and RBI cut 25 to 30 pounds from my rack and sound great to me.

3. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

you did get a good deal off me. but wait for the cl. i mean u even heard it.

4. VT-Bass pedal + 1001rb-II + 610hlf, I've been playing this setup for a year now, I would get an amp with anough power to drive that cab (I have both volume knobs on the gk pointing at the sky) and then it's just a matter of tweaking, I've also used a Ampeg svt-IIpro and also B4r with it which sounded nice also.

5. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The 4 Pro and 610 HLF were my main rig for years, and I loved the tone these two behemoths produced. Toward the end, I added a sansamp bddi, and that was pure heaven. :bassist:

I'm actually considering returning to this setup, as the prices for a used 4 Pro have really come down.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think GK amps wit their aggressiveness and bright sound match up very nicely with the darker tone of ampeg cabs.

GK800, 700 or 1001 would be my recommendation.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    An original 70's Ampeg V4! I've gigged with that combo and if you want "Ampeg" sound, that's it. Those heads can be had on the bay for ~$700-$800

8. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    i own a svt 610 hlf and run it with my svt 4 pro and its the best i have ever owned the sound is unreal !

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I use a Crate BT-350 because I haven't had that awesome deal on an SVT come my way. It does 350w @ 4 ohms @ .2% THD so she has a little more than rated power to give. :D

It does my favorite not-actually-an-SVT-tone. Built under the same roof as a lot of the Ampegs and rated much more conservatively.

Did I mention I paid $150 for the head, $80 for an SVT-810E with all speakers damaged (patched 4, dropping in new 4 Jensen Mod10-50's for $160.) A darn fine $390 bass rig. Almost as good as the real deal.

10. jhan

jhan Guest

SVt 4 Pro.

11. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Who makes that?