Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMP website?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 14, 2005.

1. this might belong in Misc, but it is pertaining to amps, so here it goes!

after reading that history of bass amps thread (thanks IvanMike! awesome read!), i got interested in AMP brand amps, and when i type in AMP in google, i get a lot of amp sites, but not AMP...i realize that they went out of business, but is there a site that talks about the different products they put out?

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I'm pretty sure that AMP morphed into Thunderfunk.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

What would you like to know?

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America

More precisely, AMP morphed into SWR and Eden. The Thunderfunk amps are refined (superbly I might add) remakes of the original AMP BH-420.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The real story is more or less this:

After Acoustic Control Corp. folded, engineer Russ Allee went off to found Amplified Music Products. I forget his partner's name right now. They hired Steve Rabe (also ex-Acoustic) to do a preamp design and the first products out were the Rabe designed SL-1 Premap, an 800 watt stereo power amp and the XB-15 speaker cabinet.

Steve Rabe went off to start SWR shortly thereafter.

Russ Allee redesigned the SL-1 preamp slightly and used it in two integrated heads, the BH-420 and BH-220. A combo version of the 220 was also introduced (CX-220) which used a cab design similar to the XB-15.

The 220 amps were upgraded slightly to create the BH-260 and CX-260 amps. A.M.P. introduced at least two more cabinets (both 1-15", one had a horn), a 30 watt solid state guitar combo and a keyboard head based on the BH-420.

They went out of business around 1989.

Russ Allee then revamped the BH-420 design for Gibson as the GB-440 amp head. Gibson sold both 4-10 and 1-15 cabinets to go along with the head.

Russ Allee did some consulting with Eden on the World Traveler amps although it is unclear exactly how much he was responsible for.

A few years ago Thunderfunk bought up the remaining parts stocks from Gibson and built up "new" GB440 heads which were all sold on eBay. The last few built had Thunderfunk logos (still Gibson parts inside but Thunderfunk had run out of the Gibson made enclosures). Sales were good enough that Thunderfunk did some redesign on the amp and went into production.

Amplified Music Product's main failing (in my opinion) was a complete lack of promotion. They ran ONE ad in Guitar Player over the life of the company. What amps they did sell were totally through word of mouth. They did have some very famous users including Jaco (in his last days), Jack Bruce, Darryl Jones, Tommy Shannon. Although they sold their own cabinets these were never as successful as the heads and are quite rare; at the same time they partnered with Hartke, who recommended the BH-420 for use with their cabs (like ALL of the above famous users). After A.M.P. went under Hartke decided to start making their own amps.

6. i was looking for info on the AMP 220, and brianrost gave me a bit of info, anybody know anything else about it?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The 220 is the one version I haven't seen IRL.

8. D'oh!

9. i am bringing this thread back up beucause to answer Brad's question,

I'd like to know how many watts at how many ohms :)

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Speaking of AMP amps, I just got my AMP BH-420 back from a TBer I traded it off to. I missed her so, but now she is back home!!!!

11. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    So are you saying that SWR is a modern day Acousic? I own a 370/301 rig, and I'm looking for something to replace it with on gigs.

12. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Well, there is also the AMP BH-250, shown in my "AMP Family" Photo. It is a 250 watt, two channel, foot-switchable between the two channels model. Channel B also has an "Edge" control--adds a little grind. I don't know when it was made or anything else, except it is very light-12#-I also use it as my rehersal head for that reason. I bought off ebay for like $40 and had Dave funk fix it for another $100! I use it as the "Hi freq" amp in an all-AMP bi-AMP setup w/ one of my two ampeg pr1528he cabinets. I got the first bh-420 from TB'er Tom Bowlus for $365 and recently acquired a second from ebay for the same price. Both work flawlessly, although the newer model is cosmetically much cleaner, scratch-free (relatively) and has all original knobs! Guess I've become an AMP-aholic!

13. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    here's the bi-AMP'ed set-up

14. Quadzilla

Got a couple also bro! Lovin my AMPs! BH-420 (in killer shape) on bottom and BH-260 on top!

AMP X 2.jpg

15. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Quadz: Awesome! I didn't know there was a BH-260! Looks like a 420's little brother--am I right? Less power, no crossover/biamp, slightly smaller parametric section--anything else unique? How about weight?

16. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    17"x4x9.5 @ 25#
    so we have a 220, a 250, a 260 a 420 and a Preamp-only (Sl-1 ?)
    anyone have a 220 picture? I know the 420 manual has been posted by arock. billybfromLZ sold the preamp on ebay--maybe he still has the picture he can post. Anybody have copies of the manuals for the 220/250/260 they can post? Hell, we'll create our own AMP webpage!

17. Quadzilla

You hit the 260's features, etc right on the head! That's what it is, the mini 420 less the options you described. It's very light. 12ish lbs... Sounds great though!!!

18. wow...i didn't realize that AMPs were so popular :)

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad to know that I helped start somethin' good! :)

And FWIW, I'm still in the AMP family, what with an SL-1 preamp and all. :p

Tom.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I really like my BH-260, but feel like it has this weird bump in the volume knob. At about 11 o clock it goes from quiet to blazing, with nothing in between. Any other 260 owners have the same thing, or should I think about sending mine in to Thunderfunk for a once over?

Or heck, maybe I should just get a 420. :)