1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 215e with eminence kilomax 15s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkrockmike, Dec 25, 2011.

1. there is a 215e (older one from the 70's, usual worn condition) for sale in my area and the owner says he has replaced the original speakers with eminence kilomax 15s. arent these pa speakers? i recently bout a head from the guy and played through the cab and it sounded good, but im worried about how the different speakers will sound when i pair the cab with my 810. there is also another 215e for sale (guy said he thinks it was made sometime in the 2000's, a little cheaper and better condition) in minnesota, but i'd have to drive and hour and a half to get it, but it does have the original speakers in it. would it be worth getting the older one and trying to replace the speakers with something similar to the originals, or should i just hope my van makes it through the 3 hour round trip drive? what would you do?:confused:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Kilomax is designed for use with PA subs. The highest it gets is 800hz, which is about 3200hz less than you'd want in a bass cab that uses full range 15"s. Pass.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    plus, from what i can tell, the kilomaxs are made to take that massive wattage, but not to necessarily produce a lot of sound with it. pass+1

4. Speaker cabinet design involves more than sticking any arbitrary driver into a box one happens to own. Doing so is a complete crapshoot.

Pass +2

kosmicwizard likes this.
  5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Were you looking for a 2x15 only? There's been at least 2 or 3 8x10's on Craigslist (Minne) for 500-600...

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If it is cheap enough, get it, sell the Kilomax to someone after subs, put in suitable drivers.

7. yea ive been looking for a 215 for a while now. already have the 810. i wanna lay the 215 on its side and throw (or i think struggle to lift would be a better term) the 810 on top of it. and yea thanks everybody for the advice and opinions i was thinking the same thing. im gonna call both of em and see who will give it to me cheaper. leaning towards the one with original speakers tho. seems like less work. what drivers would you guys suggest putting in there if i got the one with the kilomax's in it?

kosmicwizard likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that puts you in the middle of the whole "mismatched cabs" TB s***storm.

if you want to drag out that much cab to shows, you'd likely get better results from a second 8x10 just like the one you have.

9. haha yes im aware of the ""mismatched cabs" TB s***storm" but ive heard many people have good results with this set up. and even if they dont work well together, i can always used the 215 for my metal/punk band and the 810 for other projects.

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The pawn shop in Crystal has a 215d BW cab in nice shape. I think they want $350 for it. Music Go Round in Maple Grove had a 215d with Scorpins kind of rough for $250 the last time I stopped in there. No reason to drive all over the state, there are plenty around town. I got a mint 115BW for $100

11. thanks for the ehads up man. and yea ive seen a bunch of them around and tried em. like em, but i wanna stick with an ampeg cab to go with the svt.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you use separate amps, you can make mixed cab rigs work better by dialing in different tones that don't phase as much.

13. yea ive thought about doing that, too. i still have my 2 pro and was planning on giving that a shot when i got the 215. but jimmy, out of all people i'd guess you'd be able to help me with this question or help me find the answer elsewhere. what speakers were originally in the earlier 215e's? and where would i find them? ive looked through a bunch of threads on here and elsewhere and cant seem to find that info.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  14. Which cab did you end up getting? By "older" what year are you referring to exactly? I am not aware of the 215E being made prior to SLM owning Ampeg. OEM Eminence Drivers are in my 2000 MIA SLM 215E and in my 1993 MIA SLM SVR215 as well, I believe. One of the best full range 15's ever made. Cheers.