Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 610hlf flatulence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Oct 3, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I recently got a brand new Ampeg SVT 610hlf (killer price too). Besides some quick jamming at the house, I have not been able to crank-up the volume yet until last weekend.

The last few shows I have played have been backlined, and I use a different rig at rehearsal, so i have not been able to take the cab out and really see what she can do until last weekend.

Last weekend i played a gig sat and sunday. Sat. was indoors @5,000 square foot club, and the other was outdoors at a haunted house on a medium stage (sort of state fair-ish). First gig had PA support, 2nd show limited PA support.

I have a GK 1001-rb-II. I ran all the knobs straight-up (noon) for the show so i was not at "max" power (700 watts) or extream EQed. For some reason the D note (10th fret E string)/not the drop D note) would really cause the cab to fart, buzz and distort.

most other notes sounded pretty good, a bit low-mid-ish, but after the farting. I was really afraid to push it, should i be afraid? the cab is 600watts RMS.

i play a fender geddy jazz with EMG pick-ups, passive tone controls with the head's pad "on", so I'm not overdriving the front end.

What's the deal with the fart, any way to solve it?

I thought i had found my end all stand alone big venue, loud volume cab!?. Do i need to replace the stock speakers/what are each set's impedences?

I want to stick with ampeg. If I returned it, how is the 410hlf vs. the 610. Would I have the same issues?

mm

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My guess would be too much extreme lows. For higher volume with 10" speakers, roll off some of the low lows, and use the midrange to punch through the mix.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Exactly, and you probably won't need to cut the bass all that much to get rid of the farting at volume. Also, remember that the position of your master volume knob has very little to do with how much you're taxing the power amp

4. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    my head's bass knob was flat and the head wasn't turned up past halfway volume wise. the gain, boost and master were only half-way up too.

and the cabinet seemed to fart on a midrange note (D). basically not a lot of juice going to the speakers and nothing real low.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    mine def doesnt do this and im running 1000 watt head and play 2 active basses and it never farts out, dunno maybe something loose or a speakers blown.

6. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have the 610hlf and one of my experiences with this cab is that it is LOUD..... :meh:

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I tried a 610Hlf cab at a store (but loud) and I got it to fart quite easely with an SVT head. Likewise with the SVT410he but not with the sealed 810 or the 410Hlf. The 410Hlf sounded deapest of them all and that would be my choice if I would go Ampeg. But IMO their speakers are not so well made... :bag:

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That would be a resonant condition. If it only happens at that particular spot on the neck and not when the same note is played in different locations it's likely a fret buzz. If it happens at every D2 then there's something remiss in the cab, could be a loose driver bolt, could be a defective driver, loose jack plate, loose rear panel.