Ampeg 610hlf - What amp are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rawmouth, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah, this is my first ampeg cab and so far loving it. I will be upgrading the Hartke at some point, it may be an ampeg of sort or maybe a darkglass.

I know you are an ampeg kind of guy, between the 7-pro and the 3-pro, which way would you go? I play mostly modern progressive rock and I use some distortion at times and sometimes use effects for some extra layers in the higher registers

JimmyM likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    SVT-CL sounds ridiculously good

Ashdown LB-30 (30W all tube amp) sounds so much better..... and louder.... than you would think.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Good question. They're both different types of SS...the 3 Pro is trad SS and to my ears it has the capacity to sound a little tighter (this can be adjusted by gain levels and tube gain) than the 7 Pro, but I like how the 7 Pro, which is micro technology, has a little bit of "give" to the sound in comparison. So I like both quite well...but I bought the 7 Pro because it's lighter, less money, has a killer sound in its own right, and will do 1000w if I need it. Which I don't :D but it's fun to tell people you have 1000w.

4. You sound like Darkglass was made for you. Hartke is great too, but I have yet to hear one dirty on purpose, of course - pedals are also a thing for that. Also, most will tell you that you can't go wrong with an SVT, but may I also suggest a Traynor? Their newer 300 watt tube head is pretty good, I'm partial to the 200 watt one though.

Rawmouth likes this.
  5. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    You really can't go wrong with Darkglass...either the MT500 or 900. I'm sure they would sound great through a 610HLF. I own the Heritage 410HLF and use a MT900 and I absolutely love it!

I think I need an all black P-bass now! ;)

41105484_10212996952894778_5972062990415953920_n.jpg AMPEG410HLF.jpg

Rawmouth likes this.
  6. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks, I will check the Traynors out as well, don't know much about them but always keen to try/learn about something new. I have an ultra omicron which is great so there is that for extra dirt anyway

I think the clarity of the Darkglass stuff with the deepness of the 610 should be a good balance, and plus more distortion options

Yes, you should buy an all black P-bass. If you needed a sign, this is it! :thumbsup:

7. Being out where you are, if I didn't try one out I wouldn't be too disappointed. Traynor can be niche, but at least in Canada it's relatively cheap, it's kinda like peavey stuff.

Rawmouth likes this.
  8. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Had it for a couple of weeks now and it has been fantastic. A lot clearer and deeper than my old cab. I think it warms up the head a lot but not too much. Drummer even commented that he could hear a difference!

Had the volume at 6 and it was plenty loud and gives a nice sound to the alpha omicron as well

Super stoked with this cab.
    610.jpg

jdubbass38 and JimmyM like this.
  9. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Run mine with an Ampeg PF500 when I take it out.

13765821_10209174062841397_5647387546347948457_o.jpg

jdubbass38, Rawmouth and JimmyM like this.
  10. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    Ampeg.jpg

I bought my Ampeg SVT-7 Pro last year. Ran it with my GK Neo 212. Sounds great.

I picked up this used USA made SVT610 for a song this week. They sound great together, I love the growl. I will be doing an outdoor medium sized gig Thursday with this rig. :)

jdubbass38 likes this.
  11. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    Sadly, I sold the 610. It sounded great but after 2 gigs I decided that I did not want to lug this thing around. On a positive note the guy who bought it is leaving at a venue we both play at so I will use it a few times a month. :)

12. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Depending on the tone I was going after, I would run either a 2-Pro or a 4-Pro with my 610. The 2-Pro did a great job of sounding aggressive for higher-volume gigs, but the 4-Pro sounded perfect for smaller shows.

000_0283.JPG

jdubbass38 likes this.
  13. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    SVP-Pro Peramp with QSC plx2 1804 power amp and a DBX 160-A comp between the 2. maybe the finest bass tone ever!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021