Ampeg 610hlf - What amp are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rawmouth, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    I have the opportunity to buy an Ampeg 610hlf. I currently have a Hartke LH500 and a hydrive 410. It’s not a bad setup and has been really good as my first amp and cab setup.

I want to move the hydrive along and until I upgrade my head I will be using the LH500.

I know a few people use the SVT-3pro and this cab but I am interested to hear about other amp combinations as well and how they translate the (what I’ve read) bigger bottom end of the 610?

2. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I’ve run the following currently:

Svt 4 pro
    v4b ri

Used to run:

Svt CL

3. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks, I guess most people match the ampeg stuff with it

4. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Yes. However I did forget to mention I ran a fender bassman 500 with it as well.

rodl2005 likes this.
  5. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    How did that sound? I guess I have heard the ampeg setup in a lot of places. Interested to hear what people’s thoughts were on the other heads used with that cab?

jdubbass38 likes this.
  6. I had a SVT410HLF for a while. . It was one of the 'dark' sounding SLM ones. I didn't like it much, but have since played the newer Asian built, and re-tuned ones, that sound great.

I've never owned the 610HLF, but have used one as a supplied backline, I've used various amps into the same SVT610HLF and my favorite was my Fender Super Bassman, closely followed by the SVT-VR then V4B. Tubes are my favourites of course.
    I wasn't impressed with the SVT3PRO thru my old 410HLF.... but, maybe the cab put more of a damper on my views there.

jdubbass38 and Rawmouth like this.
  7. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah, I have heard the USA cabinets were dark sounding. The one I am looking at is the newer Asian made model which apparently isn’t so dark.

I was thinking of maybe going with a GK head or even a darkglass MT500 eventually, or just an SVT of sort.

8. I ran a LH500 through an Ampeg 610 classic for about 3 years. Loved the sound of it. I found the LH500 had enough power through it and I always loved the sound of that amp. Both cab and head are great for gigging and travelling.

Rawmouth likes this.
  9. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    I was thinking that it might work because the amp is pretty flat and may balance out the cab as well? If that makes sense?

10. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I thought the bassman 500 sounded really good thru the 610hlf; I actually felt it sounded the most “tube-ish” (since its a hybrid) thru the 610hlf compared to other cabinets I had at the time (gk 412 and bassman 410). My only issue with the BS500 was it wasn’t all tube. I tend to try hybrids but always run back to all tube...just personal preference.

Rawmouth likes this.
  11. Yeah it really does. I always ran the EQ flat and The mids and Highs sounded great. Low end was very tight and punchy. Its a very good pairing. I wouldn't think twice to use that set up again.

12. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Cool, that makes me even more excited to try it out with my amp this weekend!

13. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Rodl2005 is correct, the USA 610hlf is a bit darker sounding, the Asian built cab is definitely my favorite of the two. I currently own both versions, if I’m running one cab my choice is the Aisan built.

rodl2005 likes this.
  14. They don't look too bad together either! haha sorry the pics are old and kinda suck but you get the point. Enjoy when you get the Cab! Let me know how you like it
    459059_238323989631117_206556265_o.jpg 1149227_357870151009833_2137559122_o.jpg

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    That’s good to hear, the one I am looking at is the Asian one so that’s awesome!

rodl2005 likes this.
  16. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    You are making me itch to go try the cab! Good pics, they do look good together

17. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    And its here!

Been playing it at home for a few days and it is really good! Have a jam session with my drummer tomorrow so keen to open it up!

610.jpg

jdubbass38 and BlacknWhite like this.
  18. The LH500 is a workhorse of an amp. I had one for a while until I got my LH1000. I kinda wish I kept the 500 for smaller, 1 cab arrangements.

But anyway, that should be a killer set up! How are you liking it?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Used one with a Heritage SVT-CL once...loved it. Was not far off of what an 810e sounds like IMHO.

Hartke makes nice stuff, too. Should be fine with that cab.

20. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Well I have only had the volume on 1 so far, but even then it has that lower down almost compression of the sound. It sounds good.

I will be able to give it some volume today so I will let you know how that goes!

knappymer likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021