Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg 7pro vs other micro amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbones741, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bassbones741

bassbones741

Feb 3, 2012
    Wondering what this amps like? My friend played one bit said it was kinda farty sounding and heavy for a micro

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I would not classify the 7Pro as a micro.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Wouldn't say it's "farty," either.

5. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I chose the 7Pro over Markbass and GK micros. Reasons being smoother sound, feature set, and power. The Littlemark and the MB both sounded very good, but to my ears the 7Pro was a cut above in that it was "smoother" sounding, a bit tighter sounding on the bottem end than the GK, and a bit richer sounding that the LM. The 7Pro's larger size and weight are not an issue to me at all.

6. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    The 7 pro rocks! Very loud.

7. bassbones741

bassbones741

Feb 3, 2012
    But it's not micro? Why did ampeg bother? Thought this was there attempt at micro

8. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    It was probably the cab that was farting. I can't see the 7 pro farting. You'll get some grind if you crank the gain.

9. bassbones741

bassbones741

Feb 3, 2012
    Maybe but it was in a shop cab was brand new.

10. Menno

Menno

Feb 21, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Maybe it was your friend farting :smug:

The 7pro is clearly no micro, it's ampegtone in the pro series with lighter weight, about the same size as the 3pro and 8pro.

I would say the Ampeg PF350 & PF500 can be considered micro's. Even lighter then the 7pro and considerably smaller.

And none of them farts...

11. bassbones741

bassbones741

Feb 3, 2012
  12. Menno

Menno

Feb 21, 2011
    The Netherlands
    PF350 = 8lbs / 3.6kg
    PF500 = 11lbs / 5kg

13. IIRC the PF500 retails for about $400 by itself. Get it with the PF-115HE cab and you've got a killer, gig-able, Ampeg rig for $800!

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Farting is simply a feature of feeding more low frequency signal into the cab, than it is designed to handle cleanly. It's a function of cab design, but also of amp voicing.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The pf's are their micros. The 7pro has more power and more features. It's a little bit bigger, still very light.

16. The 7PRO does have a heavier weight as it very solidly built. Nothing flimsy about it. If u are looking for Ampeg micros there is the Portaflex series amps (PF350 & 500).

17. arai

arai

Jul 16, 2007
    But not as much power as the specs lead you to believe

:bag:

18. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    It's not really micro sized but it's the smallest of the Pro series and with the rack ears off it does fit in a back pack and it's pretty light. It doesn't fart at all. If you are running it through a cab that can't handle what you are giving it the cab will fart-out but that goes with any amp. If you like the ampeg sound I don't think you can do any better without getting an all tube SVT. I gave up my markbass LMII when the 7 pro came out because I loved the sound so much (and I really liked the markbass). I own a GK MB210 combo also which basically has the mb 500 head in it. I like my ampeg the best ampeg, and I liked my markbass better than GK. The PF amps sounds great if you are looking for something smaller than the 7 pro.

19. bassbones741

bassbones741

Feb 3, 2012
    15 lb is heavy enough.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Now...now...:D

Everything I said is true, they absolutely do have more power, and features, than the pf's.

If that's the tone somebody wants, get one. I don't see any value in having an amp that's lighter than your bass and has a smaller footprint than your setlist when the tone you really want weighs as much as 2 basses and fits in a briefcase.

21. bassbones741

bassbones741

Feb 3, 2012
    Not sure what to get but im liking the 1000 watt output