1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMpeg 810e authenticity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jayu, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jayu

jayu

Oct 17, 2009
    Hey guys, i need help real fast. I'm buying a used Ampeg 810e & the guy doesnt know how old it is. He's selling it for $450. Now, I had asked him earlier if the cab has speakon connection and his reply was it has one plug that goes to head... so i'm not sure if he's saying it only has speakon or just one 1/4 input at the back.

But, did they even make Ampeg 810s with only one input? I dont have a pic of the cab since the posting is over 7 days old. I'm gonna talk to him later about it cause he might have misunderstood my question. The online manual shows 5 inputs total.. 3 1/4ths & 2 speakon... was it always like this for this cab? Or did they change over time? Thanks a bunch!!!

2. jayu

jayu

Oct 17, 2009
    oh yeah btw, i have an SVT3-pro.. will 8x10 be better than the 410hlf? I looking for a cab I can use for garage practice & bar gigs. Thanks again!

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the older ones have only one 1/4" jack on them.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For my money, absolutely the 810 is better. But many people like the 410HLF. I'm just not one of them. I don't like that overly low low end.

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i like both the SVT410HLF and the 810, but i prefer the 810.

6. jayu

jayu

Oct 17, 2009
    hey johnk... how old is old? lol.
    Ive got another guy selling a 410hlf for $275 & then another selling a 410he for $300. The 810 went down to $400. Of the three, the HE looks new. The hlf's tolex is all torn.

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd go with the 810.
    i'm not sure since all the SVT cabs that i've owned were, a '69 (straightback) , and early-late 70's ones, i have a post 2000 one now, which has a bunch of useless jacks on the back of it................................................ (i only use one speakon).

my angle back mid late seventies ones all had just one 1/4" jack, with silver/blue grill cloth. i don't even know what year the actual 810"E" designation came about. or when they started using black 'classic' grill cloth (which is what i think you're describing). i would take a wild guess that that one is somewhere between 89-98?

8. jayu

jayu

Oct 17, 2009
    okay thanks a bunch guys.

9. jayu

jayu

Oct 17, 2009
    Okay so I got the cab... and I dont know. I made the mistake of not checking the back cause I was in a hurry. Hope you guys dont mind if I bug you again but is this authentic?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I $400 for this thing & didnt check the back for any Ampeg labels & what not. It did sound good though... but I have this feeling I paid too much for it if it's not an Ampeg... :(

10. TigerClaw

TigerClaw

Sep 12, 2009
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Nah, dude. That thing is legit. Just old. You didn't get ripped off.

11. jayu

jayu

Oct 17, 2009
    Cool man! Thanks! :bassist:

12. thats definitly a legit cab. i have an post 2000 model with a towel bar handle and a early 70's flat back with 3 suitcase style handles on it.

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah. its an ampeg, but it looks like someone replaced the towel bar with two flush type handles.
    $400 is a decent deal, and your's probably has the older/better sounding 10's in it.

14. TigerClaw

TigerClaw

Sep 12, 2009
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Yeah man, 4 bills for an 810 is a pretty good price. If I didn't have a Honda Civic, I would be all over getting an 810 again.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, looks like an early SLM model. Pop a speaker and check the model and date code...right after the 67 (which means Eminence), the next 2 numbers tell you what year.

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Hey Jimmy, notice the small voice coil diameter... Those are 50 watt speakers...

So here is the interum cab I was hinting at last week... Early tilt back with the 50 watt speakers. This would be MTI or Magnavox era... PRE SLM. Also constructed of PLYWOOD... This would be the pinnacle of cabinets...

BOB

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't think that got by me, Bob! First thing I noticed! :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

18. did the 70's cabs have the 50watters in it too? cause that would explain alot about my old cab and why its insanely loud no matter what head i hook it up to lol

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep. CTS's, then Eminences.

20. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Exactly TNL, This is the second version of the cab... BOB